Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Friday, April 14, 2006

Christian Studies

Four Gospels Course
Doctor of Christian Studies
Textbook: The Unvarnished Gospels by Andy Gaus
Rev. Bryan Keith Speroni

As I study the four gospels in the Bible, I find it difficult to point to any one particular passage that brings me more comfort than another. It seems to me that the gospels in general are designed to bring comfort to the world. Let me share with you some examples.

In the many healing miracles of Jesus, we find hope for the healing of each of us. It is comforting to have the knowledge that we are never beyond hope.

In the calming of the storms that were performed by Jesus, we find hope for the calming of the storms that arise in our lives. Just as the storms arose unexpectedly upon the disciples, storms arise unexpectedly upon us. In those storms the disciples had no choice but to apply a little faith to the matter. The same is often true for us. But, my oh my, what a difference a little faith (even faith the size of a tiny mustard seed) can make !!!

In the feeding of the multitudes, we find hope for the meeting of our needs. We are given the assurance that if we are seeking God's kingdom (His ways) and His righteousness (seeking "to do that which is right" - ULC Motto), our needs will be met. What a comfort that is !!!

In the love shown by Jesus, I find the message that needs to be shared with a violent world. In His acts of compassion, I find an example to follow in order to show the meaning of true love to a hurting world.

In the way Jesus dealt sternly with some people, I find the courage to stand up for those who are suffering unjustly. I also find in Him the courage to make my voice heard and my influence felt in facing up to things and dealing with things that are simply not right, especially when it comes to the harsh way in which people treat each other in our world. Compassion and kindness are in short supply and yet are desperately needed. Jesus, from time to time showed firmness, but never unkindness.

As Jesus hung on the cross and pleaded with His Father to forgive His tormentors, I find great comfort concerning the forgiveness of my sins, failures and shortcomings. I assume that the same forgiveness that was extended to them is also extended to me. It also reminds me that I need to be more forgiving of others.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The gospels teach so many lessons of comfort and encouragement that it would take volumes to deal with them.

As far as the parts of the gospels that trouble me, they are always the ones that show how far my life falls short of what it ought to be. I compare myself to the Jesus of the gospels and I realize how much improvement and how many changes I need to make. However, it also brings to mind the fact that my life is not over and there is still time for growth and maturity. The gospels give me challenges to face and goals to reach for.

I have appreciated the opportunity to study the textbook and the monthly e-mail notes. They have been very enlightening. I intend to refer back to them often as I continue to look at the life of Jesus Christ and how His teachings apply to me.



Paper prepared by:
Bryan Keith Speroni



*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

The Universal Life Church offers handfasting ceremonies, funeral ceremonies and free minister training.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge selection of Universal Life Church  minister supplies. Since being ordained with the Universal Life Church for so many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've watch the huge change and growth that has continued to happen.



Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: