Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Wiccan Studies

Wicca Training Course
Rev. Jac Martins


First, let me preface this by saying that I have been a witch and a Wiccan (Alexandrian tradition) for over thirty years, so I was already familiar with much of the material . That being said, the course was interesting and informative.

The section on the history of the Craft was well done, without a lot of the misconceptions and false myths that have crept into Wiccan lore over the years. However I would have mentioned Alex Sanders, Janet and Stewart Farrar, Doreen Valiente, Isaac Bonewitz, and Star hawk (even if you don¢t agree with most of what she writes).


I found the section on mythology and legend interesting. However, I do encourage all people to explore other pantheons besides Celtic. I discovered a very personal resonance with Isis myself.

I found the exercises in dowsing fun and useful. In fact, I found all of the exercises useful, and excellent training techniques.

I also found the discussions of ethics interesting. Since a witch is one who shapes reality, one is then under a greater responsibility to engage in ethical behavior. You can¢t lie, steal and cheat all the time and still be able to work effective magick.

The one glaring inaccuracy I found in the course is in the section on herbs. I make my living dealing in herbs and essential oils. And while I am not an herbalist, I am familiar with herbs and their uses. Diazepam, also known as Valium, is not derived from valerian root. Valium is a benzene - derived synthetic which acts on the same brain receptors as valerian, which, by the way, smells and tastes as bad as they say.

Other then that, I found the course to be of value, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about the Craft, no matter their level of experience.



*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

The Universal Life Church offers handfasting ceremonies, funeral ceremonies and free minister training.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge selection of Universal Life Church  minister supplies. Since being ordained with the Universal Life Church for so many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've watch the huge change and growth that has continued to happen.



Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: