Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Friday, June 12, 2009

Spirit Quest

Master of Metaphysics essay by Rev. S. C. Hawkes
Spirit Quest

    I'm amazed at the amount of information I got from this course.  I thought I was fairly well rounded in my knowledge of spirituality and using spiritual "tools" to help not only myself, but those who come to me for counseling and guidance.  But the new tools I learned from this course have already begun to change not only the way I handle personal situations, but also in the way I counsel others, and I believe it has been well worth all I have put into it.
    I spent many years learning to meditate for my own personal reasons and I found it not only very relaxing but it also helped with healing, both physical and emotional.  Due to a low back injury in 2000 I've been left partially disabled and in constant chronic pain and rather than depend on Rx'd narcotic pain meds, I use meditation to help keep the pain within tolerant levels.  But the centering and additional grounding skills taught throughout this course have helped a great deal.
    I did find the process of constantly creating and destroying roses a bit too tedious for my particular needs, so instead I've simply developed my own sort of "armor" to shield myself from the negativity that seems to be constantly bombarding us all these days.  My armor doesn't close me off completely from everything, it's very specific in it's purpose.  I've designed it so that it acts more like a filter than true armor and it simply filters out the negative energies and allows the positives to flow on into me.  This is the technique I've been trying to teach those I have been counseling.
    I found out quite by accident a few years ago that I am a natural  healer.  I had no idea I had such a gift until a good friend and co-worker was complaining one day about how much her back was hurting and I offered to rub her shoulders for her.  She gladly accepted and as I was massaging her shoulders I suddenly "felt" her pain and somehow I seemed to know exactly where it was coming from and I use my hand to sort of trace the pain back to its source and as my hand stopped over the spot I had an urge to "pull the pain out" and she suddenly asked what I was doing.  I had no idea really that I was doing anything in particular as it was almost unconscious effort so I asked her what she meant.  She said it felt like I was sucking her toes out thru her shoulders and she could actually Feel something pulling and moving inside her up towards where my hand was.  And when I took my hand away, I could feel the added weight of her pain in my arm and had to try to push it back out into the universe.  She started moving around and said she didn't know what I'd done to her but that the pain was simply gone.
    The grounding and and other techniques taught in this course has allowed me to hone those healing skills and realize fully what it is I'm doing and how to control it, and better still how to rid myself of that additional pain and negativity once it's gotten in.
    Though I have only a very small following at this time, and I don't really consider it a congregation as yet, I do have plans to start a spiritual counseling center and try to put all the wonderful knowledge I've gained through the seminary programs here to good use helping my community.  
    For the most part, I have been doing mainly weddings, baby namings, house blessings/cleansings and that sort of thing.  But I have had more and more people coming to me for more personal counseling and I'm finding that I get such personal satisfaction and enjoyment out of helping others that I am more determined than ever to move forward with my plans to do this full time rather than as simply a side-line.
    Thank you for sharing all this wonderful knowledge with us and for putting together such an enlightening and insightful course.



--
"Spiritual freedom means accepting the path that has been laid out for you by the universe and following it to your true destiny"


Rev. S. C. Hawkes




********************


Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church  materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: