Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2006

Paganism Course

Paganism through the ULC - Universal Life Church Seminary
I have enjoyed the Paganism course. As in the other courses I have taken, it was like someone was just reminding me of something I had forgotten. I did learn some new things. Those things just added depth to the knowledge that was already there. I am getting the same experience in some programming classes I am taking. It must be the right time for me to increase the depth of my knowledge.

The first thing that I learned was the Pagan Story of Creation. I have heard and read many different versions of creation from several different view points. This is the first time I had heard it as a love story. One thing it teaches is there is a balance of power. Ying without Yang, Male without Female, Dark without Light, is unbalanced. Another thing that the story teaches is that the greatest creations start in Chaos. If Chaos is guided it can create beautiful things. Left alone Chaos is just chaos.

It always amazes me that if you look at religions side by side, they all seem to have something in common. I have always wondered why people look for what is different rather than what it the same. A lot of religions have ceremonies around the moon phases. A lot have gods and goddesses. The gods and goddesses usually have multiple forms or faces. There are guides or helpers for good and demons or tempters for bad. I think it is a good thing to understand others. In understanding others, you learn more about yourself.


I enjoyed learning about the Pagan year and the using of the terms the Northern European Wheel and the Mediterranean Wheel. I had not heard these terms used with the Pagan year before and when I started doing research on the internet it was amazing how many these terms pulled up. It also helped to have the year broken down into the different festivals and moons. It is making it a lot easier to give things a name of what I am celebrating rather than just a description of why I am celebrating.

The thing that most impressed me was the listing of the tools and their uses in this course. I have seen each of things listed scattered among books and text but this was one of the better listing of tools in one place. I also appreciated the explanation on the Runes and their meaning. It helped explained why Rune reading is not my thing. Before I always thought it was something I was doing wrong.

I could go on and on about the things I enjoyed about the course. There were some things I do not see the same way as the course presented but that is the beauty of learning. As you take any course there are things that you agree with and things you disagree with. If you agree with everything that everyone says with you are a sheep and we can only hope that the person guiding you is a good person.

The last thing I would like to mention is that I am closer to saying I am a Universalist. I do believe that every religion has truth in it. Depending on how a person thinks is how a person believes. I have found no one religion or set of beliefs that encompasses all that I believe. I had a Tarot Reading about 10 years ago and something the lady said has stuck with me.

My question was will I ever find the religion for me. She said that I would never be happy if I chose one religion. That I was a Seeker and would find the truth in everything and that one day I would set up a place for others to teach and learn without adhering to one belief. I have found that reading coming back to me often. I am learning about all beliefs and one day I hope to open a place for all to come to worship and learn in whatever manner they wish.

I can’t wait to see what the next classes teach me.

Rev. Terri Greer

*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

The Universal Life Church offers hand-fasting ceremonies, funeral ceremonies and free minister training.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge selection of Universal Life Church  minister supplies. Since being ordained with the Universal Life Church for so many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've watch the huge change and growth that has continued to happen.



Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: