Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Shamanism Course

Universal Life Church Seminary - Shamanism Program
My Personal Commentary on Shamanism
Rev. Diana Hango

I think I first became technically interested in shamanism because my best friend/room mate started getting me to watch some certain metaphysically oriented tv shows- John Edward and Sightings in the 90”s. She was part Native American (she passed over a few years later but is still very much still communicating!!!) so I began to look for things for her to read on the metaphysical aspects of Native American spirituality that I thought she might enjoy. I began to look at these things myself and found that I was relating to many spiritual aspects of my childhood experiences that I had forgotten. I began to realize that I could relate to many shamanistic experiences.

Up until then I had no idea that my experiences were experienced by others. Some of these were strange beings in my dreams who took me flying around in the air and who took me through strange “openings” to other places. These beings could also sing and change reality. I had also felt connected to animate and inanimate objects and I didn’t know why. I had always felt that everything was alive and should be respected. I didn’t know anyone else felt this way so I kept it to myself most of my life.

I still was confused about these experiences since I am not native American. I decided to start looking into my heritage. Then I found out that I have a similar heritage to native Americans. I most likely have a Saami/Laplander background from my father, who was Finnish. They were also a shamanistic society. I have begun some research in this area but information in English is limited.

I don’t presume to be any kind of shaman. I haven’t helped or healed anyone that I know of except maybe some sick feral cats. I have a houseful of rescued feral cats. I am extremely shy and I would be terrified of having to do any rituals with people I know as well as those I don’t know.

I do wish to live a shamanistic lifestyle though. I have brought many rituals into my life. I bought the most beautiful dishes I could find so I could make eating (nourishing my physical body) a part of my spirituality. Everyday I do a meditation/Tarot/Shaman wisdom card reading to open myself to any possible spiritual synchronicities for the day. This also involves candle lighting and smudging with tree sap a dear friend brought back from a yearly spiritual pilgrimage in the Jefferson wilderness (Oregon).

I am also an artist, so I am also putting prayers of blessings into whatever artwork I do. I paint, do digital photography/art, and crafts. Mostly I do this as gifts. I believe this is my main purpose to give positive energy into the universe. This is how I practice a shamanistic lifestyle.

*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

The Universal Life Church offers hand-fasting ceremonies, funeral ceremonies and free minister training.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge selection of Universal Life Church  minister supplies. Since being ordained with the Universal Life Church for so many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've watch the huge change and growth that has continued to happen.



Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: