Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Wiccan Basic Training

Wiccan Training
Wiccan Basic Training
By Rev. Barbara Hynal

How it affected my life
What I learned

I have pretty much been practicing Wicca, naturally not knowing what it was, since I was a child. I did not believe in the things that the different religions, in the Bible Belt, taught about their God. Each religion saying their God was the true God. Teaching of fire & damnation if you followed any teaching other than "theirs". I believed in a "greater power" that gives life &  love to all living things.

As I grew, I became fascinated with the stories of the Greek Gods & Goddess's. I felt that we all had the God/Goddess spirit within us, if we would only acknowledge this spirit. You can imagine how the idea of being a Goddess in oneself went over in this geographical area.

My philosophy of: what I do is MY BUSINESS (as long as my intention is good, I take responsibility for my actions & I bother no one else) use to drive my parents up the wall. They thought I was a disrespectful person. "An it harms none, do as thou wilt".

All of the above was well before the broom closets were opened. I moved to California about the time you could say witch or Wicca without thinking you might be burned.I found Scott Cunningham's books to my liking & they added to my education of what I was practicing. I am still a solitary practitioner. I have attended several covens & found the power struggle for the HP status too stifling.

I enjoyed this course very much.I liked the way we are reminded that the ritual must speak to YOU. An effective ritual unites the worshipper with Deity. I had not thought about the alter tools as being "attention-getters" to focus your attention. I like that theme. I have several tools that "I like" that do not really fit with the pattern of alter tools. They do now, because they are "attention-getters" for ME.

Being reminded that alters grow & change (with the growth of the person), reminded me that it is OK to set my alter my way.The Invoking-evoking was a good lesson. I really had not realized the difference. I have always "invited" the element to honor me with the presence. I have heard HP use "EVOKING". That tern did not set well & now I know why.

Lessons 12-13-14 were pretty intense & educational.

Lesson 23 on improving your spells was very helpful. The information
about which moon phase for the purpose of the spell was very helpful.

This course reinforced most of my beliefs & taught me a few new ways of looking/doing things.

So Mote it be!


*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

The Universal Life Church offers hand-fasting ceremonies, funeral ceremonies and free minister training.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge selection of Universal Life Church  minister supplies. Since being ordained with the Universal Life Church for so many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've watch the huge change and growth that has continued to happen.



Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: