Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Paganism

Paganism Study Course
Paganism for a New Age

What has this course taught me? This has been difficult for me to answer, although the answer has been inside me my whole life. The difficulty for me being a monotheistic deist is conjuring up the pantheon of deities that regulate all. I felt that I would betray what I believed, or later as it turned out, what I was taught to believe. To accept that the Creator spoke to many peoples using many voices was a “eureka moment”. Even though I can see the divine in a single blade of grass and the patterns in spiders’ webs, the human arrogance that is in all of us calls out to me that God is mine and mine alone. This class has taught me that the Creator is All and that all we have to do is “be still and listen”.

The divine in All that has been and will be created is universal. Just as there is still residual energy in the edges of the universe that was from the beginning, so there is a shred of the divine left in all that was created, including people. Although I wonder if it is being wasted on us.

To wake up and be thankful for the rising sun, no matter who is being thanked, still gives reverence to the One. To utilize the different names of the pantheon, does not disrespect but shows the purity of acceptance. Accepting that the One is in all and that the divinity of creation still resonates in our bodies, is it wrong to say that we ourselves are divine?

To live, as many cultures do, believing that all is sacred removes unnecessary pressure from our lives. So much of our time is made up judging others and ourselves. To be able to revere all stops us from hypocritical, self-righteous scorn.

In short this class has taught me to “be still and listen”.


Thank you


Rev. James Cummings

********************************************

To ordain yourself with the Universal Life Church, for free, for life, right now, click on the Free Online Ordination link.

Rev. Long created the ULC seminary site to help ministers learn and grow their ministries. The Seminary offers a huge catalog of materials for ministers of the Universal Life Church, as well as an online seminary program and a chaplaincy program.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: