Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Comparative Religion

What I gained from this course.
Comparative Religion Final Essay by Rev. Barbara Stewart

This was an interesting course. I am completing the course with a much better understanding of the history of religion. It is quite amazing how religion has evolved throughout the ages. I found that I had a great opportunity to learn religions vocabulary that I had not taken time to learn – which gives me a much more keen sense of connectability with other religions.

I also believe I have a better focus on building my ministerial relationship with others of varied religion. I hope to share this information to help build bridges between our different cultures so that we might all have humankind’s best interest at heart.


What you liked best in this course.
This course was designed very well. I believe it was written in very understandable language, even when it was dealing with complex material.

The way the different religions were detailed from their similarities to their differences was clear, interesting and enlightening. I also appreciated the additional informational resources and assignments at the end of each lesson. All of that additional material is a wonderful resource to further my studies. I plan to add many of those books and websites to my library at home, and the one I am compiling on my internet site.

I also enjoyed the activities section. My discussion group found some of the activities very insightful.


What you liked least about this course.
I live in a rural area in the middle of Kansas. Believe it or not, we are still on dial up so our internet connection is quite slow. Just opening the lesson, took sometimes up to 30 minutes. The lessons with a large number of graphics took even longer to load.


How you think these discourses could be improved.
My reference above regarding the slow download time would be my first recommendation to improve the readability and functionality of the discourses. Maybe you could consider making the main discourse with either smaller resolution graphics, or just add the graphics as an option at the bottom of the page along with the reference materials. In regards to the discourse material, I believe it was very well written as an introduction to Comparative Religion and I do not have any recommendations for improvement.


Any other comments.
I greatly appreciate the fact that you are offering this and other discourses online for us to learn from. As I mentioned earlier, being from central Kansas, can be a challenge in regards to having access to fast internet technology. It can also be a challenge to find classes and workshops in our area to learn this type of material. Online opportunities such as this, help to keep us connected to material and studies with people from around the world. Thank you!


Would you be interested in taking other courses from Rev. Kythera Ann?
Yes, I would. I would also be interested to know if I can use this material, referencing Rev. Kythera Ann as the author in small study groups in my area. I have started a ‘Circle of Intention’ Spirit Quest group and this information would be of great value to the group.

*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

No comments: