Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Christian Religion

Wow, this course really challenged me. I am not a Christian and there were many times throughout this course where I threw down my printouts in disgust over the ludicrous things that were being presented to me “holy.” Having said that, I learned a great deal about Christianity, both as it is practiced, and the sometimes convoluted path that it follows to connect its tenets to that practice. I can also say that I have a much greater understanding of the Christian Bible and found much within it to make it a ‘good book.’

Although I doubt whether I will ever agree with many of the beliefs that Christianity holds, the fundamental principles of fellowship, charity and community are very positive. To be provided the opportunity observe the early roots of the Christian religion and its formative text was an enlightening experience. I discovered that, like any religion, there are great moments and terrible moments and it is the combination of these that has allowed Christianity to become the largest religion currently in existence.

I must say that I was quite disappointed with the manner in which this course was presented. The instructor is obviously a strong proponent for Christianity and peppers all of their discussions with arguments for the conversion to the Christian faith. In an academic environment, this is abhorrent to me. I feel that this course should be considered for revision, I feel that this course comes dangerously close to being propaganda for a religion. Although I have not taken any courses specific to other religions, I would hope that I either 1. do not find the same bias there or 2. find the exact same bias universally presented. Anything less than one of these items would be to allow one religion to seek supremacy over another.

Be very careful if you take this course, it might change your mind.

Rev. Douglas Grant

*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

No comments: