Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Monday, September 08, 2008

Shamanism

The Universal Life Church Seminary’s Master of Shamanism on-line study course was a pleasurable, accessible and informative experience and a conformation to personal journey started many years ago. I first experienced a call to the ministry in 1974 and began formal biblical studies and ministerial training. I was ordained and pastured evangelical churches for ten years, and during that time, I’ve experienced a spiritual evolution. Leaving the pastoral ministry, I began holistic health studies, became a certified massage therapist and holistic practitioner and eventually a certified hypnotist. All the while, I was on an unconscious journey toward shamanism. Being basically self-taught, I found the Master of Shamanism course reassuring. I had read or was familiar with much of the information provided, but enjoyed the concise presentation. I have made a notebook that I am sure will be invaluable in the future.

I have learned to blend Eastern, Western and Native American philosophies, with modern and ancient practices of the healing arts often call shamanism. I ascribe to many of the teachings of Dr. Michael Harner, Ph.D. founder of The Foundation for Shamanic Studies and Dr. Roger N. Walsh, M.D., Ph.D. in his work ‘The Spirit of Shamanism’. Keeping an open mind, I question and test what I hear, am taught and learn in order to discover its truth and relevance in our contemporary world. I do not believe in the need or use of psychedelic or hallucinatory drugs, nor extreme physical feats of endurance to achieve the contemporary shaman journey.

The two segments in the Master of Shamanism studies that stand out most in my mind is one, the Jewish Shaman, and how it relates to the ministry of Jesus. It presents a logical approach to Jesus’ motivation in His earthly ministry. I have long held the belief that Jesus’ ministry was that of a shaman.

The second lesson that stands out to me was lesson 14. The group meditation and the beautiful “Healing Journey,” is a tool that I am eager to apply in my own work. I sight these to two instances, but they’re dozens of other equally valuable lessons to assimilate. I will reread over and over.

My only wish is that there be a lesson on practical application. I have developed my own practice through trial and error. When I say practice, I mean it literally. I practice shaman healing on a daily bases. I have a city business license and malpractice and liability insurance and offer my services to the public for a fee. I comply with the State of California’s Holistic Practitioners compliance and work out of the Tehachapi Healing Art Center. I had to get insurance from two different carriers, one for massage/bodywork and one for hypnosis and because I touch my clients, I also have to have a police permit. I could not find a single source of information on how to develop my practice and believe such information would be very helpful. I would be happy to offer my input if Universal Life Church Seminary would like to address this subject in the future.

My granddaughter gave me the name Paka, with a soft k, which means ‘wind’ or ‘spirit’ in the Paiute language, as in pahogunt, meaning ‘man having power’ or ‘shaman,’ in Paiute. I embrace shamanism not as a religion, but as a holistic worldview. I simply practice and share what I have learned and experienced first hand. I believe in the old adage, ‘practice what you preach.’ I am not an Old World, Asian nor Native American Shaman; I practice Holistic Wellness and what I call, ‘Contemporary American Shamanism.

Rev. Eugene Stirm

*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more.

Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.

The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: