Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Friday, September 19, 2008

Mystical Christianity

I chose this course as my first endeavor with the seminary. I believed at the time that it was a course that I already knew something about and it would be a bit easier for me to slide into my schedule and concentrate on. I was wrong. This class was everything that I did not expect and delivered more than I could have ever imagined.


In writing my final essay for this course there is only one thing that comes to mind as appropriate in summing up the course and everything I have learned from it. Free thought. Put simply this course gave me back my free thought. In the first few lessons I found myself doing something that I had not done in a long while. I was reading and came across a concept that would challenge the way I had viewed Christianity for my entire life. It was so simple yet so profound. Eve was not there when Adam was informed not to eat from the tree in the middle of the garden. Wait...what? I had to stop. In my mind I had an image of Adam and Eve both being told by the voice of God that they were not to eat from the tree. I immediately got up and grabbed my King James and thumbed through it for the particular passage. Sure enough she wasn't there. She doesn't show up until two passages later. It is never stated the God told her as well. This changed my entire view. One concept changed it all. What else was I remembering from child Bible books and Sunday school classes of years gone by? What else was etched in my memory that had been fed to me by others hands and not by my own knowledge and views? With that I started my in depth journey into Mystical Christianity.

I also took away a concept that opened up several new doors for me that I didn't even realize were there. It was like thinking I had reached the end of a hallway and someone saying “oh but look” and flipping on a switch to reveal thousands of miles of doorways and obstacles. The concept was yet again a simple one. The concept is that we are both, male and female, created as a mirroring image of the divine. It made total sense to me. If we are created in God's image then would he not have to have a feminine side in order to create the female image. The female image of self.

There are many more concepts that I took from, revisited to, and expanding my knowledge of during this course. Reincarnation, Spirituality and Sexuality, and of course Mary Magdalene were just a few. This course, for me, was a perfect starting point. It renewed my sense of self, free thought, and connection as a creation of the divine. It was what I needed on so many ways and I am so thankful for it.

I look forward to further classes and obtaining my goals with the seminary. Mystical Christianity only secured my path and goals.

Megan Coogle


*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

No comments: