Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Gnosticism

Master of Gnosticism Final Essay
By Michael Barth

            This course was the toughest course that I have taken through the seminary.  Bishop Pat includes a lot of information in this class.  There is a lot of information that I did not know beforehand.  There is still information that I am still processing from this class.

            One thing that I did not know was that Gnosticism had different schools of thought like the Persian School.  I did not know that there were so many schools that were considered Gnostic.  Even the term Gnosticism is new and was not used until recently.  This course also taught me that some of the early Christians were probably Gnostic as well like the Apostle Paul.

            Before taking this class, I had heard of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Nag Hammadi Library but that was it.  I did not know that these two important discoveries shed light on what Gnosticism was and is.  The reason I found out that these documents were hidden was because the early Christian Church had persecuted Gnostics and tried to destroy all their documents and Holy Scripture.

            This course also taught me that in Gnosticism, there are 7 different heavens that are guarded by Archons.  With each Archon, you had to give the right password to enter into that heaven.  Also, I did not know before that this planet was created by an evil Demiurge and that all things were evil.  This was totally new to me.  The author said that this evil Demiurge is sometimes considered Yahweh from the Old Testament.

            This course also presented parallels between Gnosticism and Christianity.  The fact that there is the Gospel of Thomas and other books that portray Jesus in a different light was new to me.  Also, what is new to me is that Jesus might have studied Gnosticism before going on his 3 year ministry in Israel.  This I did not know but would explain where Jesus was for the first 30 years of his life.

            This class was very well written.  There is so much information contained in this class.  The Master of Gnosticism class was well written for the most part.  There were a couple of lessons I did not like because the author took what appeared to me as an anti-Gnosticism view.  This class will require an investment in time due to the amount of information presented and the amount of new terminology that I came across.  As I said earlier, I am still processing a lot of the information and will have to go over some lessons again.  This course did spark an interest in wanting to read the books that were discovered at Nag Hammadi Library and the Dead Sea Scrolls.  This class is not for the light-hearted.  I would recommend this course to people who are ready for a lot of information, new terminology, and have extra time to study this material.


*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

The Universal Life Church offers handfasting ceremonies, funeral ceremonies and free minister training.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge selection of Universal Life Church  minister supplies. Since being ordained with the Universal Life Church for so many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've watch the huge change and growth that has continued to happen.



Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: