Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Paganism Course

Universal Life Church Paganism
Universal Life Church

Essay on Paganism Class

Paganism is, by definition, of the country and/or any religion not Christian, Jewish or Muslim. This seems to fit my profile.

The class on Paganism opened my eyes to a few things, one of them being I am a true Pagan. The other being a number of religions state they are not Pagan, but they seem to me, to be of Pagan origin. I was not raised Catholic, but I am around many people who call themselves ‘recovering catholic’. The Catholic religion seems to come straight from the Greek/Roman belief in gods, many of which seem to have parallels in function.

Finding that I am a true Pagan is enlightening. I find that may of the things I do naturally are classified as Pagan. For example, I have always had a relationship with dreams being prophetic, working with angles in my healing sessions, working with herbs/flowers/animals/birds and asking permission from them before taking anything and leaving an offering for the gift they give.

I did find the work with chakra imagery helpful for balancing my energies. Going through the meditations and guided imagery was most instructive. I have learned new ways to help myself and others with the exercises of grounding and balancing given in the class.

As of yet, I have not set-up and official alter, although, I seem to have many mini alters all around my home, yard and office space. I love rocks and feathers and plants, herbs most especially, and seem to have instinctually set up the things I find helpful to balance energy in a space or that carry great meaning to me.

In closing, you may see why I feel truly Pagan, I am of the country, and I follow my instinctual nature and hold all things in the universe as precious, giving thanks to each one for their special gifts. I feel the Spirit around me always and in all things, not in one special place or one special deity.


Rev. Robin Muldowney



My name is Rev. Amy Long and I've been a minister with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since its inception. I've been a member of ULC for many years and my site has created a terrific ULC Forum. We also have the most extensive catalog of Universal Life Church materials.