Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Shamanism

Shamanism Program
This is to serve as my essay on the shamanistic practice and the principles obtained from the course.

Let me begin by indicating that the elements of this course have been very helpful in providing insight into other forms of religious practice. The teachings of this course have provided the elements of the practice and I have found many valuable tools that can assist me personally in my everyday life. I am sure that anyone who wants to learn can derive many important facets of spirituality from this course.

What I found interesting was the basic matter that the shamanistic practice is renown world wide and is utilized by many peoples to enrich their lives and the lives of others. Although not considered main stream, the basis for this practices utilizes principles that will enhance anyone who is open to spirituality and help them to further within themselves, the personal ability to transcend traditional organized beliefs and realize that this practice does not oppose such systems, but actually enhances the ability to feel. It provides one with the insight to open their mind to the thoughts and wonder of nature and makes one more attuned to their individual surroundings.

The concepts of the shamanistic program and the teachings allow one to experience the mental journeys that many take without realizing it. The tools to relax and open one's thoughts beyond that of the normal every day responses are truly beneficial to the student. I practice the elements of trying to hook into the natural elements around me. I observe the birds and the sounds they make and the behavior of the
animals I see. I watch as the clouds go by and the winds blow the leaves on trees and hear the gentle breeze which soothes the inner soul.

No, I have not yet been able to release to obtain the animal spirits to guide me and to help me, but I am close and can visualize the faces of various animals as the run through my thoughts. These are influenced by the time of day in which I go into the meditative state and try to open myself to that of the great spirit that guides us all. I receive input from that of mother nature and I open myself to receive the spirits. Although this recognition is difficult to obtain, it is obvious that is there waiting for me to release my inhibitions to it. I cannot give up control enough to let the spirits flow, but I continue my daily ritual of attempting to do so and I feel the presence of the forces around me in a positive manner. This is cathartic and healing in its content.

I am not a user of substances, thus I find it is very difficult to allow such opening as I would obtain through the use of ethogenic materials. And yet, I think one can obtain such a state by mediation and allowing the soul to be opened as if it is a door to life beyond that of which opens normally and is exposed to us in the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The teaching have allowed me to be open and to communicate about the spirit and soul and to understand the needs of myself and others to have some form of intervention when it is needed to help get beyond that point. Actually, I am a tobacco user and I use such as a means to enhance my feelings of self realization while using relaxation and thus I am able to cross into a state of a minimal alteration of my psyche.

I enjoy the knowledge that I have gained through the course because it has assisted me in my ability to relax and enjoy my life and to also discuss such elements with others. I have been able to guide through the teachings by being a listener and a teacher also. I had some background in teaching to begin with and the course has made me see that it is also something that can be transmitted to others to provide them with some words that will encourage and provide strength in time of need.

I found that the last several sessions also did much to make me see that when one attempts to assist and provide guidance it must be done with total reverence toward those seeking such help. Will I be able to "heal" and assist those in need in the manner prescribed through the courses, is of course a question yet to be totally answered. But, am I equipped or better equipped to do so, I can say yes to that. I am able to understand the principles of empathy and of the forces of nature that effect us all. I am able to seek guidance from the higher powers around me to find direction to live effectively and move forward. I have always looked for the meaning of things and the way that fate tend to come into play and it is no longer a asking of why such things happen so much, as it is a means to use the direction that fate takes one on their journeys through life. I submit that one has to want to see enrichment and be open to it, before one can obtain it to move forward.

Illness and bad feelings or that concepts of such are a truth, it is how one is able to deal with such issues and how one is guided should they seek such; that this practice provides one tools to help others who have decided to take this road and approach. No one is directed to this practice, it is a desire from those who wish to lend their hand to it to receive the spirit that it available to assist us to move beyond our present state to another state which provides strength and peace. It seems to me that what is gained through the study of this practice is the extent to which it may apply, which is universal, and to the desire to fulfill one's own soul with goodness and to transmit such goodness to others in a manner that gains their confidence and brings them too to the state of fulfillment and peace and the lessening of fear of the unknown and the future. I would think that that is the overall value of this practice, to reiterate, is to make peace within, no matter what
the issues.

In this sense, I think I have obtained much knowledge and ability to feel the freedom to speak of such things. It is thus, important to be one who has the confidence to be able to say to the spirit of the soul that we are at one and we are one together, each of us interwoven. It is such that some may not come to know what is available to them to be free, but yet it is inherent in all if they allow it to be visited.

So, in summarizing my feelings, I have the more accepted credentials of "Reverend" and I also have gained powerful insight into other means of communicating without having to in essence, announce such, yet I am greatly assisted in empathy and compassion to include these ever so important elements into my religious practices and can do so with or without the knowledge of others, in a way that opens me up to share the state of peace and to communicate such as I incorporate this use of these lessons into my life and into my practice that I offer to others.

I hope this meets the requirements of the documentation for this degree and I also have found wonderful lessons, teachings and values from this field of practice. I highly recommend it to others who may want to explore more traditional manners of spirituality then they may have given this credit for. In fact, it can only help, solely my opinion here, to show one a wider perspective of that which is needed to learn and then communicate for spiritual purposes.

I wish to thank the Church for making this course available and I think anyone who wants to experience another form of soulful spirituality should strongly consider taking this course to enhance what already may exist within them, and to open them to a broader vision of life.

Sincerely,

Reverend Adam Rocke


*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

The Universal Life Church offers hand-fasting ceremonies, funeral ceremonies and free minister training.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge selection of Universal Life Church  minister supplies. Since being ordained with the Universal Life Church for so many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've watch the huge change and growth that has continued to happen.



Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: