Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Monday, September 11, 2006

A Course In Miracles

Dr. of Metaphysics Program Essay
By Caroline Nixon


To summarize what I learned, what touched me; from this course in metaphysics is no easy task. I learned or should I say “remembered” so much. Being trained in Hypnosis, I was already quite familiar with the three minds and how they operate. I especially enjoyed reading about the Ego vs. the Higher Mind. I was reminded of just how much I operate from my self-conscious ego self. I think we could all do well to have a chat with our ego each morning, and choose to think and act from our higher “God self”. I think of my ego self as a toddler, which isn’t that hard for me to do since I have two children at home under the age of 5. So, I can have compassion for my ego self (and patience), but I can have rules for my ego as well.

When I operate from my higher “true” self, I am open to fully give and receive love which is all that is true anyway. I laugh at myself at how often I forget that. There are so many opportunities everyday to give and receive love, yet it seems so easy to forget this (at least for me). It is the illusion of separation that I am reminded of here. We are all one, yet we forget this sometimes (a lot). My mind is always racing, and I have trouble being in the moment. However, when I am fully engrossed in what I am doing, it is magic! As I meditate (and write) I have more of these magical moments.

I loved in one of the lessons where Loretta spoke of our holy purpose of work. She said our holy purpose of work is to give of ourselves. I feel that can be applied to everything we do. I loved when she said that our job is to spread love. That is the truth! I have spent many hours trying to “find myself” and my purpose on this planet. And while I believe we all have unique gifts and talents and lessons to learn, I also believe we ALL are here to give and receive love. It seems so easy, yet it is so hard. We get busy. Busy making plans. Busy worrying. Busy doing and thinking. Busy, busy, busy. This is where meditation, visualizing, praying and surrendering can help us slow down and just BE. Maybe we should get busy being and loving more. We would be a whole lot happier. So I end this essay by asking God for help. I ask God to remove all of the barriers that are preventing me from experiencing God’s presence within me. And so it is. Thank you to Loretta for all of the great and thought provoking lessons.


********************************************

To ordain yourself with the Universal Life Church, for free, for life, right now, click on the Free Online Ordination link.

Rev. Long created the ULC seminary site to help ministers learn and grow their ministries. The Seminary offers a huge catalog of materials for ministers of the Universal Life Church, as well as an online seminary program and a chaplaincy program.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: