Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 08, 2008

My Spiritual Path

Druidism is not a spiritual path or a religion to me but Life itself. When I found Druidism 12 years ago I was not familiar with it or any of the stories, but what we have of the history called to me and I knew I found home.

I specifically love Keltrian Druidism because it interconnects with the history and the myths which to me honors The Gods, The Ancestors and The Nature Spirits more than anything. It is not easy for most people on the Keltrian path, as much of the path is learning about oneself and developing a lifelong set of morals and standards along with commitment in practicing the path. When books say it could take 20 years to become a druid, I definitely understand why and I feel that is what Keltria represents.

I have found, for me, my spiritual beliefs needs to touch every aspect of my life. Eight years ago I felt my job was a conflict of interests and I decided to go back to school. At first I wanted to go for Forestry/Naturalist type of career as it definitely has the nature side that would be compatible to the path, but I found it also has a scientific and governmentally controlled side to it, which did not appeal to my search. I then went to school to get into sign language, as I am hearing impaired. I was happy to learn sign language and to understand the deaf culture but I did not feel this career met any spiritual needs within.

Finally I was looking through a local holistic magazine and found an ad for a Massage Therapy school and with this in mind I sought to find an associate degree compatible with massage. This is what I pursued and I now work fulltime as a COTA and do Massage/Reiki on the side. Working in healthcare compliments and emphasizes my spiritual beliefs or at least has no conflicts of interest.

My finances also have been touch by the spiritual side. I believe we will and deserve to be provided for, if we do what is need for ourselves. My mom taught me that the money I make does not belong to me until my bills are paid. If we follow through our responsibilities and pay off our debts then somehow, some way the items of want/desire will come to us. BUT if we ignore our debts and buy the objects of desire we would only become more in debt. Basically… the universe will reward us for being responsible….If you give you shall receive… what you do comes back to you….all karma, I guess. I also believe visualization has a part in this too. When I was going to the two schools (at the same time) I visualized I would graduate both schools with no debt and I used my resources to the best of my ability to accomplish this. I took regular loans vs. school loans and working part time started paying immediately vs. waiting. I applied for financial aid and scholarships. Doing this every semester and establishing a budget I did graduate from both schools debt free. This sounds like I made it easy - but why just me then, as many others end up with debt. How is this spiritual? There were moments that occurred that could have proven my plan was incapable but I continued to believe and would tell myself everything will be ok. The day after such feelings, I received an unexpected check or something to that extent that would keep me afloat, and of course emphasized my belief.

A few years back I got a tattoo to represent my beliefs. I like to have people interpret it in their own way, as my meaning or truth may not be truth for someone else. On my left should is the Otherworldly Tree. Within the blossomed branches is the Rays of Imbus (or awen –I try to stick with Irish terms!!!) On the truck I have in Ogham the word Truth. The roots of the tree are visible leading to a green/yellowish Oak leaf representing my first grove into Keltria, The Grove of the Golden Oak. Below that is a horizontal doorway opening to another world… representing the otherworld; other dimension; other perceptions, etc. On the inside of my arm is a wizard representing magic and the unknown. On the back of my arm is a small dormant tree with a skull at the bottom, representing death into rebirth.

I honor my spiritual path by practicing using Keltrian Ritual, to honor the cycle of seasons and how the cycle can be seen within our lives and in our spiritual journey. 

When starting this course I only knew of Keltrian druidism. I never had a need to seek elsewhere for beliefs. This course made me realize there are other types of druids out there. I also learned that I need to separate my personal beliefs from group beliefs…similar beliefs bring us together but not everyone will belief in the exact same things.

As far as the coursework, some aspects of this course I would not consider druidism. I have never heard of “druids in black robes” in the “history” books. I also never heard the seasonal rites called as Sabbaths except in local Wiccan covens. I would also caution about discussing sacrifice early in the lessons as it could imply or be interpreted that modern druids continue this practice. It would have been nice to have more of a comparison of the modern druid groups. I understand the basics of each group but what are the specific path differences or beliefs? How are their rituals different? What aspect of each group makes it Druidic vs. eclectic or Wiccan? 

My only concern is the title of this course. I have been studying and practicing Keltrian Druidism since 1996 and I am no closer to being a Master than I was when I started. These lessons and many text books emphasize that it commonly took 20 years to learn Druidism. This course by no means teaches a “master” level. A more appropriate title could be: “Introduction to General Druidism” or “Druidism Basics”. 

While this course did not change or create my beliefs as a Druidess, it has helped me to be more open to other types of Druids and Druid beliefs. Understanding this in turns helps as I mentor others.



By Rev. Amye


*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

No comments: