Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2008

Christian Studies

Thank you so much for an eye-opening course and a great book. The first part of the book that I read was the glossary. This was an education all in of it self. For example Baptism (baptisma) and Baptize (baptizein) means dunking, cleaning, washing or bathing. The word Church (ecclesia) means assembly, meeting ,or" calling everybody out to meeting". Gaus comments that "here essentially is the great struggle in reading the new testament, not to view earlier events in light of later developments."

Other words that I  found interesting were Diciple (mathetes) and Master (didaskalos).  Mathetes means student and didaskalos means teacher. Finally I should also mention repent (metanoein) and repentance (metanoia). "The literal significance of the words is " changing your mind or a change of heart". Amazing.

When I started reading the book,This christian was in for quite a surprise especially with all the different words used. Whenever I read a new book I always underline sentences or words that are meaningful for me. One sentence I underlined was " It's enough for the student to become like his teacher and the slave like his master". Amazing!. What this means to me that with a bit of patience and effort we can all become Christlike Jesus. Now that's good news.

Here's another one I underlined "And they went out and called on the people to have a change of heart, and threw out many demons and anointed many sick people with oil and cured them".Now isn't that a simple version of salvation just to have a change of heart.

Finally I can't end this essay without mentioning this sentence I underlined. "In the beginning was the Word,and the Word was toward God,and God was what the word was.Now all the bible translations I have ever read ,it reads"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,and the Word was God".In Gaus's translations there is a seperation of Word from God. Wow! that really made me stop and think. If this translation is true then some traditional doctrine Christians have always taken for granted would have to change. Anyway, I will be thinking about and meditating on this for a long time to come.

God Bless

Rev. Terry G. Rempel

********************

Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: