Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chaplaincy Toolbox

When I am called out for Chaplain Duties (I call them Chaplain Calls, so that I can tell my wife I am off doing my calling), it can be at anytime, or place.  Therefore, my Toolbox is always in the pickup truck, ready to go.  In it I carry:

1.    3 Bibles
a.    Small pocket size NIV
b.    A larger Print NIV
c.    A Roman Catholic Bible
d.    At times I may take a Large Print American Bible, for services
2.    Day Timer
a.    To keep track of appointments
b.    Make Notes
c.    Listing of Shelters (Boston Area)
  i.    Homeless
  ii.    Women
  iii.    Men
  iv.    Veterans
d.    Emergency Numbers
  i.    Police
  ii.    Fire
  iii.    Hospitals
  iv.    Ambiances
e.    Numbers of fellow Chaplains, Ministers, Priest and Rabies. (Good Friends)
f.    Number of a Psychologist, who is also a good friend.
3.    A copy of the Minister's Handbook by Orlando Tibbetts.(Small)
4.    A copy of the Veterans Affairs Voluntary Service Handbook (small)
5.    American Legion Chaplain's Manual.
6.    Military Service Chaplains' Manual (small).
7.    The Notebook from this course.
8.    A simple communion kit. (my own design)
9.    At times I use a Roman Collar, when the time is right for it. (Friar Tuck blue clergy shirt) But mostly I am in    street    close with a cross around my neck or shirt and tie with the cross.
10.    $5.00 minimum
11.    Cell phone
12.    Small Hand held Tape Recorder.
13.    Flash Light
14.    First Aid Kit.
15.    I use to carry a jack knife, but no more. 
16.    I carry two Handkerchiefs
17.    Didn't think about music until now.  Maybe tapes, CDs, or a hymnal. 
18.    I have a copy of The Common Book of Prayer.  Helps with services, confessions, and so on.

All of this fits into a carry bag that goes over my shoulder, but mostly stays in the truck.
I do have a Personal Computer which I don't use all that offend. It goes in its own case. Good to check my Email. And I have Bible software loaded on it.


Blessing to

Rev. Arthur Strafuss


**********************

Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.

The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: