Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Comparative Religion

Final Essay for Comparative Religion

               I have a bachelor’s degree from a traditional university in Asian Studies with an emphasis on comparative religion and history.  I have been fortunate enough to have done field research on Buddhism and Shamanism in Korea, Japan and Okinawa.  I have also been a chaplain in the U.S. Army and so been exposed to a number of religions through classroom instruction and through direct contact as their advocate and minister.  I am happy to say that even with this background I have been very impressed with the Comparative Religion course from the ULC Seminary.
               I particularly enjoyed the way each lesson took a different component of religion as the basis for comparison.  This was much more meaningful and instructive than the usual approach of devoting a lesson to one religion and then another.  I think in many ways this course was much more truly comparative than many other courses and texts I have experienced.  The lesson on ceremonies for example allowed me to actually compare and ponder the nature of sacred ceremonies among various worshipers.  The idea that religious ceremonies among different religions can share the “sacrament” I think is insightful and allows a much deeper understanding of religious activity and experience.
               Each lesson included an impressive array of suggested readings and activities.  This supplemental information was invaluable.  It allowed me to hear and in a way participate in the experience of other traditions.  I have yet to exhaust the potential of these resources and am very grateful for this part of the lessons.  I have discovered a whole new world that is much more complete than I had previously known.  This includes in particular my appreciation and understanding of Zoroastrianism and the connections or parallels between Zoroastrianism and Taoism.
               There was so much information in this course that I will be pondering it for some time to come trying to internalize it and incorporate it into my own ministry.  I think to a certain extent this course has already helped me move beyond the “exotic other” aspect of other religions and into an awareness of the true commonalities.  
There remains the issue of how to incorporate these insights into my own personal spiritual practice and ministry.  I am not interested in picking and choosing to create a hodgepodge or “cafeteria style” religion.  But I am interested in understanding how fundamental truths can be approached through different venues and tools.  For example, it is clear that certain Western religions can benefit from the inward-looking approaches of certain Eastern religions.  

At the same time, I see that certain Eastern religions can benefit from the outward-looking service orientation of certain Western religions.  To a certain extent I can see that these various approaches – like the various types of yogas – may depend upon the individual’s personality, strengths, and preferences.  It may be that as a minister I might want to focus on contemplative approaches with one person while emphasizing activity and service with another.  Still another might benefit from an intellectual approach.  Some might benefit best from certain types of ceremonies and liturgy while others might be served best with quiet and meditation.  Clearly the more I understand, the more I will be able to assist others along their spiritual path.
Thanks for a great course.

By Rev. Robert Nelson

**********************

Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.

The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: