Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Religious Philosophy


We are asked, at the end of these discourses, to write an essay concerning the area of study that we have embarked upon, this one being the Master of Religious Philosophy. In this final essay, we are to express what we learned, liked or disliked, and why. Upon review, by the staff of Universal Life Church, we are issued a certificate of completion. So, here is my final essay:

Studying the Master of Religious Philosophy was an “eye-opening” experience. Robert Chamberlain did an outstanding job researching and promulgating the material used throughout this course. Learning the meaning of various words, as simple as the meaning of the word “religion”, truly helped in out in completing this course. I had preconceived definitions of many of these words which, as I have seen, clouded my perception of religion and philosophy.

A prime example is the difference in religion (religiosity) and spirit (spirituality) (week 5 discourse). Being filled with the Spirit, I thought made me a religious person. The two terms can be compared and seem like the same meaning, but, they do not. A person can be spiritual, believing in the metaphysical or beyond the physical, and still not be religious, or believing in the structured or organized belief system (a church for example). An some people may feel religious, but are not filled with the Spirit. An example of this is someone striving to become an Elder at a church. They may know the bible and can quote scripture, attend all church functions, and assist during Sunday sermons, but many times these people have a hidden agenda. They have this inner obsession to be in power. As an Elder, they have say in all church matters. Is this someone filled with the Holy Spirit. I think not.

Now, I can go through this essay and fill it with phrases, quotes, paraphrases from the course material, but I have chosen not to follow this type of essay. I may throw in a quote or two to support my reasoning, but for the most part, I’d rather try to get my point across in my own words and examples.

The Master of Religious Philosophy course goes into many different areas in order to support what it is teaching you. Delving into the different religions, talking about a “God Gene” and how some scientists believe that is what compels us to search for a “higher power”; touching briefly upon different religious expressions and faiths; how scriptures have been translated and possibly misunderstood and changed to fit the period or era when translated (studying the course, “The Four Gospels” you immediately understand how scriptures could have been translated with bias in mind. Is the written scripture truly the exact words of God? Food for thought!)

An area or topic that I truly enjoyed was the subject of Religious Theories in week 13. Mental, emotional and psychological projection of a person’s thoughts, feelings and beliefs have been a basis for many leaders and is in full use today. Take the presidential elections that we have every four years in the United States. Each candidate uses these projections to get you to vote for them over the other guy. They use past experiences of the other candidate’s lack of accomplishments to give you a mental image of how this candidate has failed (tax increases, support of war, infidelity, alleged corruption, just to name a few of the smear tactics used). Once the public has that mental picture in their mind, the candidate uses emotional projection to make you feel the pain in anguish the candidate feels because of his/her opponents misgivings and why you should vote for him/her. Finally, they use psychological projection to believe, or brainwash, you into thinking that only he/she can solve the problem if you vote for them.

These types of projections are commonly used by everyone and not just limited to the religious side of the house. And we all know how clergy uses these projections to accomplish the “needs of the church”.

The Master of Religious Philosophy course provided me with a base or foundation in which to reassemble my thoughts upon. As in Luke 6:48-49, a foundation needs to be constructed upon a rock, solid ground. If the foundation is built upon sand then the house shall tumble and fall in the storm, but on a solid and strong foundation, the house will not falter. This course is that “rock” for me. I guess the best method to explain it is in this story:

I have a friend whom has a 150 year old home that is in great disrepair and the over and acre yard has grown wild. My friend has been married and divorced and did not have the knowledge to maintain the home and yard. She left all that to her former husband. Once he left, the house started to tumble. My friend approached me asked if I could help her reclaim her home.

Growing up, my father was a carpenter and insisted that I learn the skills that he knew. As a result, I learned masonry, plumbing, electrical and woodworking. I later went to work for and went to school for landscaping. This is just to let you know what kind of experience I possess.

I agreed to assist my friend and, with the help of others, we rebuilt the foundation of the home on solid ground. It took a lot of work digging out the ground to firm, hard-packed soil and then laying the block underneath the home, but the effort was worth it. The solid foundation straightened the house and provided the base the home needed to persevere through another 150 years. Although the home is still being restored, this strong and solid foundation has increased the ease at which the remainder of the home is being restored. The sagging and leaning is no longer there. The squareness of the walls have been restored. The floors are no longer even. It is a pleasure restoring it to is original Victorian condition and redeveloping the landscape into a yard befitting of this home.

The complexities and concepts which are broadcast throughout this course, combined with the different religious theories and thoughts, gave me (since not everyone will agree with want I say) the knowledge to understand and question information from all means of communication. I am broadening my horizons by researching and not taking “face-value” of things presented to me. It may be contradicting, but the only thing that I push the “I believe” button on is my belief in God and my blind faith to him.

I highly recommend this as a starting course for anyone interested in taking any form of ministry serious. The knowledge and thought provoking questions presented in the course may become your foundation, as it has me.

Thank you, Robert Chamberlain for this course and Thank you, Rev Amy Long for offering this course at ULC Seminary.
 

Essay written by Rev. George Parsons

**********************

Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.

The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: