Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Comparative Religion


By Rev. Lauren Moloney

First, I would like to extend my thanks to Rev. Kythera Ann for putting her time, energy, and knowledge into this course. Also, to the Seminary director Rev. Amy Long for having the inspiration of starting the seminary to begin with. I am sure there are many of us who will agree.

Second, to say I loved this course. I was challenged. I appreciated having a break down of various beliefs that I normally would not have taken the time to learn about, much less even thought of.

For the final essay we were asked to write about what we have gained from this course. What we liked most, what we liked least, any improvements we would suggest and comments that we had. As for what I have gained, the list could get as long as my “wish list” of books from the Recommended Reading section from each of the discourses.

Each of the religions mentioned have their similarities of course, but the details are where the biggest differences come in. Take the section in lesson 3 about the Golden Rule. With very few exceptions, most religions boil down to: treat everyone they way you want to be treated. But it’s where the emphasis comes in that says the most about each path. Like in Baha’i, in addition to their golden rule they added an aspect of personal integrity. Compare that to Islam, which starts off on a negative thought (“not one of you is a believer unless…”) and to Jainism and Native American, both of which include nature and “All things” in the rule. But only one of the rules listed, acknowledged that accomplishing this task is not always attainable. In Mencius VII.A.4 is says “Try your best to treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself, and you will find that this is the shortest way to benevolence”. Try your best, isn’t that the simplest way to put it? We may not always get it right, but as long as our intent was there it counts.

I had heard about esoteric teachings, especially on the History channel when they have shows on about various religions. But exoteric was new to me, as a word at least. Mostly, I think this is because of our basic need/want to see behind the curtain. People don’t often talk about what they already know, they want to figure out the mysteries, solve the. These lessons had me enthralled. Although I think it is a bit arrogant of the former president Bush to say that the Universal Laws of Noah are “the bedrock of society from the dawn of civilization”. Did he mean to say western civilization, or some variation? Because otherwise isn’t he implying that societies unaware of Noah were not civilized? This is not to say that I didn’t understand the greater lesson and importance of the legislation, it’s just that, that particular tidbit stuck out for me.

I could write about every discourse. Each one taught me something, even if it was that I had absolutely no interest in that particular religion at this point in time. Next week, who knows, I could find it most fascinating, which is why I didn’t mention which religion it was. And this takes us to what I liked the best.

Lesson 12 is the one I underlined and highlighted the most. Religious ceremonies are the meat and potatoes part of any religious practice. They connect and enrich. Especially when you think of how historically the feeling of being empowered by the members of the congregation was most likely not an emotion they felt often. It’s probably why people went to church so often.

It was amazing to see the similarities of the December rituals. Osiris, dies, is entombed and is reborn. Dionysos, was killed and is reborn. Jesus is born. Emperor Aurelian began the festival called the “Birthday of the Unconquered Sun”. I see a pattern here.

Rituals and Ceremonies give a sense of community and direction in an often lonely and chaotic world. As reverends and people of the cloth, it is our responsibility to provide the direction for the men and women who look to us for leadership. But just as important is allowing those same people, to provide their own direction. Being raised Catholic; this was my chief reason for leaving the church. But I digress.

Another area I liked, which is purely from a personal point of view, is now I can discuss concepts form various religions. From the concepts of sin and salvation (in lesson 11) to creating a sacred space (lesson 13) at the absolute least, this course has helped me become a better conversationalist.

I find it hard to answer the questions, what I liked least, and how I think these discourses can be improved.

Ecologically, I would have preferred the lessons be able to be printed out on fewer pages and using less ink without having to edit each section. I’m also a charts and lists kind of girl. I know this wouldn’t work on this level, but maybe throw some more in?

As far as suggestions go, discourse quizzes I’ve always found helped to focus me on aspects I may have overlooked. Most of the lessons had a question or two in the Suggested Activities section, maybe add a couple of questions to get the mental juices flowing. The only other suggestion I would make is, to make part 1 about 4 or 5 bigger religions and make each of those more in-depth, and then make part 2 about 4 or 5 other religions that may be lesser known. Or even mix them up say Part 1 is: Judaism, Christianity, Sikh, & Taoist. Than make Part 2 Buddhism, Wicca, Baha’i, Islam, & Jainism.

All in all, I would recommend this course even if it wasn’t a required class for graduation. It was well written, intelligent, even handed, and challenging.

When Part 2 comes out I will be signing up for that as well.

Thank you again,

Blessed Be,

Rev. Lauren Moloney


********************************************

To ordain yourself with the Universal Life Church, for free, for life, right now, click on the Free Online Ordination link.

Rev. Long created the ULC seminary site to help ministers learn and grow their ministries. The Seminary offers a huge catalog of materials for ministers of the Universal Life Church, as well as an online seminary program and a chaplaincy program.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: