Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Paganism

Paganism for a New Age


I enjoyed the Paganism for a New Age class. As an Ásatrúarmaður I haven‘t experienced or been exposed to other Pagan rituals, rites, ceremonies and histories with the exception of the “Mythological“ teachings of ancient Greece, Rome and Egypt in high school. The class gave a decent overview of the major Pagan religion‘s practices and rites.

I enjoyed the chapters 3, 9, 12 the most. The portions of the class that have helped me the most were the meditations. I have begun quieting the mind during my evening workouts and have found the calm to enhance and balance the physical exhertion.The sacred place chapter motivated me to finally build my oaken Altar. Upon the alter I inscribed runes detailed in the ruinic chapter along with a design of mjolnir that I hand drew. My altar turned out beautifully and I have since added a sword, shield, drinking horn, ornate key‘s(for freya and my wife) and pictures of my family. I wear a mjolnir necklace and ring to show my faith to all. I will be adding a tree of life tattoo that surrounds an Odinic horn and Freyan key this spring.

I‘ve struggled adding guardians to my spiritual path and tradition. When I ask the gods for a favor I ask Thor to petition the deity whose realm my request would fall to. I may have failed to wrap my mind around it. I‘ve also struggled with rituals and ceremonies. I‘ve attempted a few but become extremely self conscious while performing them. I‘ve yet to master calming my body and mind while performing rituals or ceremonies. My wife says in time and with practice I will be at ease.

The only thing I didn‘t care for was that the class seemed to lean a little heavier towards some teachings from week to week. I think more of a balance could have been established week to week.

Dr. Ronald Derry Jr. D.D.

*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more.

Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.

The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: