Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Four Gospels

I have studied and/or read the Four Gospels multiple times throughout my life. I have always found them to offer wisdom and truisms that apply to ones life no matter what struggles one is dealing with. Depending on ones circumstances a verse can be interpreted differently. For my final essay, I am going to focus on Luke 9:25-26.

Luke 9:25 NIV says “What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?” While there are obviously many powerful statements in the Bible, this is one that thoroughly applies to those of us who are career minded individuals. As I advanced in my career that verse always reminded me that money wasn’t the most important thing in the world. God and family are.

A few weeks ago Nelson Mandela celebrated his 90th birthday. Many consider him to be a hero as he spent his life fighting apartheid. A resounding comment he made was “I also have that wish that I spent more time with my family.” Many powerful / rich men (and women) sacrifice their family life to build empires, earn awards or hold high levels of political office. I believe most took pause at this comment.

I personally toil away in my workplace 50 or more hours a week, as does my husband. Rung by rung we have climbed the career ladder and I consider both of us very successful. We live a comfortable lifestyle and have amply saved and planned for retirement. We have done our very best to find the career – family balance, and believe we have been successful as evidenced by our two adult children. Yet, this verse shames us. Not because we lost our focus on God or family, but we lost our focus on self. We lost our voice.

In the workplace we are politically correct and are careful not to “offend” others, who by their very lifestyle offend us. While co-workers (each of us is in this situation) blatantly flaunt their homosexual lifestyles, anti-Christian sentiment is rampant. It is perfectly acceptable for pamphlets supporting gay marriage or other ACLU sponsored legislation to lie about. However, neither of us would EVER place conflicting documentation in its place. Why? Are we ashamed of God? Do we question our belief structure? The answer to both of these is an emphatic NO!

Luke 9:26 NIV says “If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.”

This study has opened my eyes to the darkness that I have shrouded myself in at work. It has opened up the discussion amongst my family as to how to better project to those around who we truly are. Do we start “bashing” non-believers? I don’t think so, as this would only increase the divide between the two. The first thing I did was strategically place “Jesus” cards in my office. These are inexpensive (.15 ea) scripture cards with “cute” sayings. “The task ahead of you is NEVER as great as the Power within you. Philippians 4.13”. I also have a frog in my office. When someone asks “what’s the frog for?” I answer “to remind me to Fully Really On God!”


Rev. Michelle Fields


*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics, as well as courses in Mystical Christianity, Buddhism and Comparative Religion. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

No comments: