Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Spirituality Course

1.       Write short essay describing how I agree or disagree with the Course’s definition of the Holy Spirit.

I have always believed in Spirit.  I hadn’t really given much thought to the role of “the Holy Spirit”, however. When I think of the Course’s definition it makes sense that the Holy Spirit guides us and intercedes for us.  I liked the analogy of the Holy Spirit being seen as “fire” and “also wind”.  Both energies are powerful and create movement.  I believe everything has spirit within it.  If we think of molecules and atoms and even smaller pieces of matter all have movement and energy.  An example would be a glacier.  Although glaciers appear to us to be set in one place they move very slowly.  In Glacier Bay, Alaska are beautiful examples of the tremendous power of these slow moving mountains of rock and ice.  As one nears the base of the glaciers one sees the water is murky.  The murkiness is caused by the glacier pulverizing the rocks into fine bits of sand.  The Norse believed in 9 worlds of creation.  One of those 9 was a world of fire and creation.  One of those 9 was a world of ice and standstill/reflection, if you will.  Things in the world of ice moved yet moved slowly.  Since God the Father or in some points of view Mother/Father is the creative force then we are all part of God. In the Course and various other religious texts God is depicted as 3 energies in One.  I like the descriptions of Jesus the Son of God and his role and also the role of the Holy Spirit.  I like the depiction of God as a loving Creator Who cares about His creation and gives us assistance in living our lives as was intended in happiness and peace.

2.       Give a personal example of how the Holy Spirit has functioned in my life. 

 I believe we are all Spirit having a human experience. I believe the Holy Spirit has inspired me to do what I do for my vocation and continues to inspire me to walk the path I came here to follow. Now that I have more information about the Holy Spirits role I will be calling upon Him more often in prayer.


*************************
Many people get ordained through the ULC as a means to become wedding officiants, but also to study through our online seminary. If you need minister supplies or online ceremonies, we have a wide selection to choose from, as well as a place for spiritual articles and spiritual bookmarks. Visit our FB Page at ULC Seminary.

No comments: