Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Comparative Religion

Overview of Master’s Degree Class on Comparative Religion
By Rev. Nita Wolf

I am very impressed with Rev. Kythera Ann’s information in this course ‘Comparative World Religions.’ So much so that I contacted her to ask for further suggestions on teaching a class as a part of my Master’s Degree for the ULC Seminary. My interest became a quest and I read many books on this topic this past year. Among the most impressive books, that I would highly recommend to others, are: Karen Armstrong’s books: The History of God and The Great Transformation: the beginning of religions; Manly Hall’s The World Religions and Twelve World Teachers: a summary of their lives and teaching; William Young’s The World’s Religions: world views and contemporary issues; The Encyclopedia of the World’s Religions; and Robert Pollock’s The Everything World’s Religions Book. I also did some research on a free, on-line encyclopedia web site: www.wikipedia.org. These formed the basis for the information I taught.

Some material was used from several lessons contained in the ULC Seminary’s Comparative World Religions course. I greatly appreciated the research that Rev. Kythera Ann did and the format she used for study of the topics. I used the criteria of picking which religions and philosophies to cover in class based on contemporary ones that had the most participants throughout the world, and the probable interest of my class participants. I started with the oldest religion, Hinduism, and moved forward, through historical time, to teach about several spiritual and religious movements and their leaders. Besides Hinduism, this also included: various sects of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Shamanism, Native American (and Animism), Paganism (including Wicca and Druid beliefs and practices), Islam (including the origins of Sufism and Baha’i beliefs), Judaism, and a broad view of Christianity. (I did not go into the various denominations.)

Each class was well received by participants and I felt very good about their comments. The classes stretched me. I had to do a lot of preparation and sorting to condense all the broad information to a two-hour class time each week. I am glad that I am a ‘seasoned’ teacher or this would have difficult to successfully implement. I have already been asked to teach this class again and I plan to this coming spring. I kept my preparation notes and I will do some revision; but mostly I am satisfied with the results. The minister of this center attended all of my classes. She told me how much it helped her understand information about other philosophies and belief systems and I have noticed some changes in the way she conducts the service and her philosophy. For one thing, she says a prayer for all of the religions of the world now at the beginning of the service and the Hindu expression ‘Namaste’ at the end of her talk each week. She also has left up the banner I found and hung on the podium for my ‘Spiritual Panel’ event that stated: ‘One God, Many Paths.’ The banner is still there.

At the end of the class series, I decided to have an event. I contacted several representatives from various spiritual philosophies to attend an ‘International Dinner and Spiritual Panel’ evening. I organized one a year earlier, as well, and that was the catalyst for my interest in studying comparative world religions. The religious/spiritual philosophies represented with both panels were: Muslim, Sufi, Baha’i, Hindu, ‘New Thought’ Christianity (with the minister of this Unity Center), Judaism, Zen and Tibetan Buddhists, Native American, and Wicca. They answered two main questions I posed to them about their philosophy and personal spiritual practice and they also answered questions from the audience. On both occasions, we had at least seventy people in attendance. Every one brought an ‘international dish,’ bought or homemade, to share and a cash donation. All money contributed for the evening went to worldwide charitable organizations. Both evenings were a ‘hit’ with many positive comments made to the panelists, others, and myself. The goal for the evening was to provide an atmosphere of commonalities (rather than differences), community, and information. This was an event that I always wanted to attend. I had not seen nor heard of it anywhere else so I put it together. I recommend that others consider doing the same. There were many rewards. It was somewhat difficult to track down, gather a variety of individuals to be on the panel, and then coordinate a time for all of them to attend. (For example, it was hunting season when I first wanted to schedule a date for this event with the Native American man. I held up the date for everyone until hunting season was over and he could attend.) A Hindu professor, Dr. Anantanand Rambachan, from St. Olaf’s College in Northfield, MN, was the most impressive and impactful panelist. Because of his appearance and message, he has been asked to return to the Unity center on two other occasions to present his spiritual philosophy and lead a special class on Hinduism. I also respect him so much that I asked that he mentor me in other questions I might have on Hinduism and his knowledge of other religious philosophies.

This course work, and my research, opened my eyes to the origins of religious movements and what historical events and spiritual and philosophical leaders promoted changes. I am a changed person! ‘Teach what you most need to learn!’ As a result of taking this course on comparative religions and my teaching a class on this topic, I am now calling myself an ‘Interfaith Minister.’ I no longer call myself ’religious’ or ‘Christian.’ Instead, I am a spiritual person benefiting from many beliefs and practices. I see comparisons and differences. Some I resonate with more than others, but I do honor many traditions and respect many paths.



*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

The Universal Life Church offers handfasting ceremonies, funeral ceremonies and free minister training.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge selection of Universal Life Church  minister supplies. Since being ordained with the Universal Life Church for so many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've watch the huge change and growth that has continued to happen.



Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: