Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2008

Comparative Religion

This was the first time I took an online discourse with the ULC Seminary. I have been a practicing Witch/Pagan for the past 10 years and am at a place in my learning and working where I am ready to take my spiritual development to the next level. Since starting this discourse back in July 2007, I have received my Mastership in Usui Reiki, plus have taken a few spiritual development classes. In my own personal opinion, in order to know spirituality in its entirety, it is very important to have a broad view of spirituality and religion. In college, I had taken a Philosophy course in comparative religions and the philosophy of faith. When I saw the ULC Comparative Religion class, I was quick to sign up for the discourses based on my own views that knowing about many religions and faiths can broaden your own personal faith and spirituality.

I really enjoy that the discourses are very “do it yourself.” I could read at my own pace, supplement some of the suggested readings and other activities where I needed to, but I liked that I wasn’t required to do so, because I have already read a few of the suggested readings mentioned and have done similar activities that were described.

I really enjoyed that this class was more about the theory of faith and religion. It wasn’t so much – This is Hinduism. These are the tenants of the Hindu faith system. This is Buddhism. These are the tenants of the Buddhist faith. I liked that it was more generic – this is what defines a sacred or holy text and these are examples of such. These are some theories about death, dying and the afterlife. I enjoyed the broadness and generalities. After All, this is a comparative religion course, and many times faith is easier to compare from a general perspective, instead of putting each piece of the belief structure under a microscope.

Specifically, I think that the actual discourses I enjoyed the most were the Sacred Space and Architecture. I was happy that someone finally put it out there that sacred space is more than just a place where you light incense or a candle or pray. There are specifics that most sacred space is picked for – celestial alignment, feng shui principals, etc. I also enjoyed the discussion of the significance of certain parts of architecture such as spirals, pillars, etc. I also think that the discourse on religious titles was very informative and interesting. I also particularly liked the flow chart of the structure of the development of religions and faiths. This reminded me a lot of a previous model that I like to use of a tree – where the oldest religions are the first branches off of the trunk and also the thickest. All of the offshoots of the faiths are depicted as sticks and twigs. I liked seeing this pictured in a different way.

Because I took this class for spiritual enrichment, I don’t really have any negative comments. I took this class to gain further knowledge and clarification on a wider variety of faiths groups. I feel that I have done this, and also have gained new examples and explanations to use to help others understand the wide spectrum of religions in the world. I am the facility director for a New Age/Holistic store in Maryland and I feel that I have a better knowledge base to answer customer questions on a multitude of different topics. I have already signed up for another Masters discourse through ULC Seminary because I really enjoyed the format and structure of this one. I would be willing to take a class from Rev. Kythera again, depending on what the class was on.

Rev. Jacob Perdue

********************************************

To ordain yourself with the Universal Life Church, for free, for life, right now, click on the Free Online Ordination link.

Rev. Long created the ULC seminary site to help ministers learn and grow their ministries. The Seminary offers a huge catalog of materials for ministers of the Universal Life Church, as well as an online seminary program and a chaplaincy program.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: