Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

Religious Philosophy Lessons

 
1. I feel that in earlier times the values of the parent could be passed on to a child. I believe this was because most of the parents back in the times when I was a child (I am 56), were basically the same, and in most homes the parent was ever a presence. But as time passed values changed, and what people find important now has changed so the parents values are not as important. There was not the amount of social networking as there is now, not referring just to the computer, but to cell phones, television, music, and such that influences children now.Peer pressure is also a major factor that is important in what a child finds important. Now that in a lot of homes both parents have careers and do less child rearing this leaves a child vulnerable to join with peers to find values. So, I believe in some homes the presence of religion is still present and passed on, but not to the extent it use to be.

2. I do believe that chemistry in the brain has something to do with the way people feel. I don't  believe however the God gene theory. There may be a a release of serotonin when a person is worshiping and feels calm due to them being assured that there is a God, but does that mean there is a Buddha gene, a Alla gene,.... I am sure these people feel the same way when they worship.


I do feel that focusing on the inner you does prevent these religions from progressing, and I am not sure that its such a bad thing. I feel sometimes that with all of the progress that civilization makes, we bend and form religion to meet our needs and not necessarily the makers. I admit I am included in that group. I feel that somewhere along the line in all of the progress and advancements that have been made in the civilized world, and the changes that have been made to get religion to fit, that somewhere along the line either now or in the future we will lose the concept of what really what we are to do.
With these "inner self" religions, the same customs are handed down from person to person, helps keep it closer to what was originally taught.
 
Rick Robbins
Click here for course information


No comments: