Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2012

Final Essay - Master of Paganism


Master of Paganism
Paganism for A New Age
Final Essay
     Starting this essay with a big thank you to Rev. Phoenix for a very enlightening and informative discourse on the practice of Paganism!  I never realized the depth of this clan with their belief systems in place.  The word complicated comes to mind with all the deities, gods and goddesses; if this is your first exposure, as it was with me, it leads to multiple aspects of a practice of magick.
 
     I see a correlation between the Druid, Wiccan and Pagan discourses that I have taken simultaneously.  Each has their individual use of magick and ritual, yet I respect that they all have a deep reverence for the planet and the energy that is given through the universe.  We don't find this in the more traditional, conventional, structured religions.
 
      In reviewing my notes to write this essay, I am awe struck at all meaning placed behind the trees, Panthens, Cultures, the Sabots and the Four Guardians.  The area of creating an Alter and sacred spaces have their own extensive list and worth the time studying.  I really enjoyed Lesson 19 on the Runes.  I have looked into them before, but really liked the explanation of the symbols given, leading to an understanding of these stones which fulfilled my curiosity.
 
     Another section I spent extra time on was forming my own ritual.  Using the Four Guardians, North, South, East and West, I made my own sacred space for meditation and opening up to the Higher Power and realms for information.  In some ways it reminds me of the Native American Medicine Wheel using the four directions to create a secure area for communication.
 
     Although the Pagan belief is not something , at present time, I will taken on as a practice, I can now appreciate the way they feel and know that this will help me in my Chaplaincy and working with different cultures.  Thank you, Rev. Phoenix!
 
Rev. Constance J. Hitts
 
 


No comments: