Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Monday, July 02, 2007

Religious Philosophy

Pondering the Human Need for a Religious Experience

As stated by Richard Chamberlain in the closing of the course the dictionary defines philosophy as being an “inquiry into the nature of things.” It also defines religion as “the expression of man’s belief on and reverence for a superhuman power.” For many years I have been exploring the reason for religion and the human need to have a religion or ceremonial commitment to fulfill a need in their lives. This is one of the reasons I enrolled in the class to see if I could find answers to my questions or a dialog of discussion that might give me understanding of why this seems to be a human requirement. The theories that were presented did give some answers and more questions to go forward to continue my study and thoughts on the subject.

As a mature citizen of the United States I can remember when we didn’t have religion in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag or in the schools. In this day we hear that it is a shame we are not allowed to pray in school or post the Ten Commandments. I never prayed in school and “Under God” was added to the pledge on June 14th 1954 during the administration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower. I was sixteen years old at the time. Why did this come about? Many people join religious congregations and organizations that have a formal ritual. Is that a fundamental driving force that is inherent to the needs of humans? Is this the reason we have religious institutions?

It is said when we come to earth we are a clean slate ready to be taught and given a change to grow in spiritual knowledge. Is there as tiny seen that is also a part of us that comes into being during the learning process? Is it germinated when we attend these ceremonies, and participate in the sacraments, or read prescribed texts? Is there a timeline for all this to happen? Some come to religion early and fade away while others come late as they reach a point of understanding. Some never come to that point in their lifetime. So what is the driving force and why do some people not have the urge or need for religion to make them feel fulfilled and some require more than others? After reading the thoughts put forth in the lessons I have a new understanding of why most humans need to be a part of a congregation and practice a religion.

I grew up in a home without religion. My maternal grandfather had been raised in a very strict religious home but as an adult he practiced no religion nor did my grandmother although she was brought up in the church. My mother professed to be an atheist and my father’s family was not in the picture as he had left when I was very young. I heard some say he had wanted a religious vocation at one time before I was born but I never knew him to attend church. At the age of five or six I found a Bible and asked the person who cared for me to read me a story from the new book I had found. Lillian looked through the book and read the Twenty-third psalm to me. When I asked her what the rest of the book was about she told me it was about a man named Jesus who taught people to be good to one another. Lillian was an Orthodox Jew and at the time she was reading to me her family was being killed in Europe for practicing their faith by a man who stated God was on his side. This sweet lady asked many of our neighbors until she found a family to take me to a church so I could learn about Jesus. Her actions and kindness have been a guide for me all of my years and led me to join the ministry.

So why did a small girl need to go to church when the family did not attend? Why did she walk over a mile to attend services and Sunday School on her own? What was the spark that made this child want to find out truths and what is the spark that makes me continue to look for answers as I age? When I think of how I was drawn to religion and a need to continue searching for a fulfilling meaning to my life I remember my childhood and wonder if there is a cord of thought that pulls us home? Home being the area of our lives that compels us to believe, worship, study, and learn. I sometimes think of the little light in E.T.s chest that glowed when he was to be taken home to his planet. Do humans have a spark like that? The other thing I think of is the children’s song “This Little Light of Mine” ---- I’m going to let it shine. If we do have a light that is the spark that leads us to knowledge is it a light that shines when we are near understanding? The authors thought enough about this to write a story and song about this light that needed to shine for our understanding and to draw others to faith.

These are questions that were presented during the twenty-four weeks of the course. Each chapter of the course led to more contemplation. This course had opened the door to much more than just the weeks of study I have completed. I will continue to ponder the points that were brought up and walk the paths that were pointed out with the new directions I was given to continue my understanding and study.

This was a very exciting course and the study will continue as I am not sure there are answers to all the questions and since many great thinkers have gone before me and each has a part of the whole to reach understanding the quest for study will continue. There are just so many more possibilities to continue thinking about and ponder. Isn’t that what Religious Philosophy is about? An inquiry into things about the why of religion and why some humans have a deep seated need to practice a religion and some do not.

Rev. Sharon J. Mayer



*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

The Universal Life Church offers handfasting ceremonies, funeral ceremonies and free minister training.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge selection of Universal Life Church  minister supplies. Since being ordained with the Universal Life Church for so many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've watch the huge change and growth that has continued to happen.



Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: