Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Monday, July 02, 2007

Paganism

The Choice to Learn: An Essay on Learning about and Understanding the Spiritual Philosophies of Our Fellow Pagans

by Rev. Amber D. Gray

“It is requisite that those who are willing to hear concerning the Gods should have been well informed from their childhood, and not nourished with foolish opinions.” – Sallust [Gods and the World]

“That person is all-best who themselves works out every problem and solves it, seeing what will be best late and in the end. This person, too, is admirable who follows one who speaks well. They who cannot see the truth for themselves, nor hearing it from others, store it away in their minds, those persons are utterly useless.” – Hesiod [Works and Days].

The decision to take the Masters of Paganism course was not easy. I didn’t know much about the broad subject of Paganism. What I knew of Wicca, were the little bits I learned when I was 17, and general Paganism, I admittedly knew nothing about. My entire life, my religion has been Hellenismos, also know as Hellenic Paganism or Reconstructionism. I had been sheltered and separated from other Pagans, who like me, were devout and true to their belief system. I had come across two passages which ultimately helped me to decide to take the Masters of Paganism course. I decided to learn about my fellow Pagans and what their belief systems were, as well as what moved their hearts. This course helped to pave that road for me.


The course was broken up into twenty parts: creation, deity, pantheon and culture, magical beings, the after life, pagan celebrations, sabbats and many other aspects of New Age Paganism. One of the most interesting aspects to this type of Paganism is that New Age Paganism pulls from several different religions. When I was learning about New Age Pagan beliefs in creation, I noticed that the Hellenic view of Chaos is shared between the religions. However, one of the first variants I noticed was a dyadic system, in which it appeared that the universe, world, nature and all of life was comprised of a masculine and feminine power. Another variant that was interesting was that New Age Pagans appear to be pantheist, where All Gods are One. This is a foreign concept to me, being a rigid Polytheist. While I understand the conceptualizations presented within the course, I was not as receiving of this point of view. However, while I didn’t agree with the philosophy, I most certainly would not censure the belief of others. Another concept that got my attention was the wheel of the year philosophy. It was remarkable how that philosophy was able to be adjusted to all Pagan beliefs in some form or another. Finally, another lesson which held my attention was the two part lesson on the Great Rite. The Great Rite seems to be a ritualistic aspect in New Age Paganism that gives its members a sense of oneness, unity and communion with their spiritual deity. I believe that a person, who is spiritually in tuned with their divinity, truly understands the importance of piety and wholeness.

Things that did not work for me, were things that I felt I could not put into a philosophical context, that I could understand. For example, the lesson on magical beings and spiritual guides was philosophically understandable, until it had rationales in it that stated things like, “Demons only have the power that we give them.” Inimical spirits within my own belief system have metaphysical powers, whether a human being believes them to or not. Thus, the conceptualization of that particular line of thinking was particularly arduous for me.

Another concept that did not engage me was the concept of magick: the manipulation and vibration of energy for a positive change. This concept reminded me somewhat of Christian prayer, and “making things happen.” It is my belief that the will of the Gods changes things, and no chant or manipulation of energy can force the hand of the Gods. On the flip side, when put within the context of advanced prayer, suddenly, the concept of magick seemed to bring humans back down to earth and was far more palatable. Overall, this was an interesting experience.

Personally, I feel like this course helped me to understand where New Age Pagans are coming from, and why certain Pagan populaces receive this group well, or do not receive this group of Pagans well. This course opened my eyes to a groups understanding of how the universe functioned, and how one could be in communion with their God. New Age Paganism is very in tuned with nature, other religions, and a myriad of philosophies and concepts from all over the world. To understand New Age Pagans, from their own words, text and philosophies will help me to be a better Pagan Priestess, and have a better understanding of a group which is often ostracized by other Pagan groups. That sort of spiritual growth is favored most by the Gods… and should be favored by all Pagan Priesthoods.


*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more.

Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.

The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: