Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Monday, July 02, 2007

Comparative Religion

I enjoyed this course immensely and hope that there is going to be a Part 2 by Rev. Kythera Ann down the road. I would definitely take another course taught by her. Her clear and unbiased presentation was straightforward and factual, without being overly dry.

I enjoyed the teachings, but also the graphics that were included within the lessons. The only thing I would have changed would have been the colors, not aesthetically, but simply due to increased printing costs.

I gained an added appreciation that, most faiths, believe in almost the same thing, only seemingly based upon geographical differences. We might call ourselves a minister, rabbi, priest, or (insert your favorite clerical representation here), but we are not without common beliefs or shared experiences. In one of the earlier lessons Rev. Kythera Ann implored us to search for commonality rather than confronting our differences.

I wonder why geography plays such a big part in our choice of religion. Had I not been born in the Midwest and raised by my father, I wouldn’t have been a Presbyterian who dabbled with Catholicism. At an early age, I was given the opportunity to visit various religious services and encouraged to “think for myself. What would life have given if I had been born and raised in Iraq? I certainly would not have had the same choices or even a chance to choose. I admire my father for giving me the freedom to actively pursue religious education but my very life did not depend upon my choices. How very different it would have been if looking at another religion was an instant death sentence, possibly for both my father and me. In the “free” world (U.S., England, Canada, Australia, Scotland, to name a few) we take for granted our right to worship freely, hardly realizing that in some countries the same action would mean harsh penalties, including stoning. Can you imagine growing up in a Christian region and changing to Buddhism? You might get a few questions, but most people will say that it is your decision. Now imagine that same thing in Iran, deciding to go from Muslim to Christian. You would be lucky to keep your house and life. Besides the affront to your religion, your clan members would view your change as harmful to the family since it would denigrate the show of family unity.

In Part 2, I hope Rev. Kythera Ann will introduce some direct comparisons between not only major religions, but also different sects of Christianity, to include Mormons, Quakers, Eckankar, Rosicrucians, and Scientologists. I know it is difficult to get into the nitty gritty with only 20 lessons, but a couple of lessons detailing who believes what would be very informative.

Thank you for such an interesting and valuable course.

Rev. Ron Boucher

*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more.

Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.

The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: