Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Buddhism

Buddhism Mastery Essay
I have to admit, when I first was researching this class, I was very hesitant to embark on such a path. I have been studying Buddhism, independently now for what I would call, “since I was 12”. What I mean is that at the age of 12, I gained a certain realization. I will admit, I wasn’t totally understanding the things I was starting to “understand”, but what I knew for sure is that I had to find guidance and education about my experience…plus I wanted to make sure I was the only one.

So as my journey began, I started in my school library. There I quickly realized that there wasn’t much with regards to religion available to me. so I proceeded to go to the public library. What a treat! The public library opened up a whole new world of reading and knowledge, all at my finger tips. I can honestly say that I have read every Buddhism book available in my local library. And as I have continued on my path, I have read any books I can get my hands on to increase my education. 

I was very grateful to have found this online course. I was able to further my education, on my own time, but at a whole new level. Taking this online course allowed me to utilize many resources that I didn’t have access to as a child. Doing such activities, while having the lessons and blog board available to me has made the learning experience 100% better…3-d.'

While most of the information in each weeks’ lesson was familiar to me, they served as great refreshers. I especially liked having the opportunity to blog about my ideas in response to the thoughts of the week. Seeing as how I am an individual practitioner I don’t often have the opportunity to discuss the lessons and/or ideas. I also really appreciated the motivational emails that I would sometimes receive from the instructor.

What I can appreciate the most is that the information was presented in a very “user friendly” way. While each lesson included some form of the history, it would also use current examples, which would help but a better understanding on a particular subject. Not to mention the added bonus of having the option of keeping each lesson and being able to use them for future educational purposes.

I did learn more about the woman’s role in the Buddhist society. It was interesting to see how the rules would change and increase for any woman wanting devote herself to the practice.


*********************
The Universal Life Church offers free online ordination and an extensive seminary program where we offer a course in Wiccan Studies, one on the Four Gospels, several courses that are based on A Course in Miracles, several Christian Studies courses and a variety of courses on Spiritual Awareness and Spiritual Development.

No comments: