Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Comparative Religion

This was a very interesting course for me. For several years now I have been trying to make sense of the different religions. I generally knew (or at least I thought I knew) the major differences between for example Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and so on.

But I liked to learn more about the differences within the main streams: Quakers, Mormons, 7th Day Adventists, Baptists, Methodists, etc.

Two years ago I bought a book: The Everything World’s Religions Book. It has the main facts of many of the main and some of the smaller religions. I was quite surprised and also overwhelmed.

I went through that book several times, and also with research on the Internet tried to map out the relationship. That actually has proven to be quite a bit task.



Earlier this year I found out about the ULC Chaplaincy program and I enrolled in it. Comparative Religion was one of the first courses I started with.

When I first got started with it, it was not quite what I expected. My day job is in computer consulting: design and development. So I was initially looking for clear-cut tables, lists and cross-references where all major religions were compared and explained.

But getting in to the course materials I got used to the way it was presented. And with 5200+ religions in the world it is practically impossible to list everything.



What I really liked about the course was the background stories from the different religions. I have taken notes of many of those and placed them on my smart phone for easy reference. I read through them often hopefully memorizing them somewhat so I can discuss them when I meet people of the religion of that story.



Other information I got from the course I did re-work into my own attempt to categorize at least the main religions.

Eventually working towards my chaplaincy degree, I like to be prepared to meet with people from different backgrounds, faiths, and religions. This way, at least I can show them that I have made an attempt to understand where they are coming from.

By the way: I have been looking for an appropriate title for myself. I originally called myself “interfaith minister”, but not think that “Multifaith minister” (as also listed on my business cards) is a better title for me. It shows not only that I look at the dialogue between faiths but that I embrace all faiths.



Having finished this course, I feel that I have gained a lot more knowledge about at least the basics of many religions.

The subject of Religious Ceremonies and especially Ritual Objects was a great eye-opener for me. Between the ages of 5 and 11, I used to frequent a Roman-Catholic church as my friend attended that. At such a young age I was somewhat turned off by the formal rituals. After this course, and also after I visited that church and spoke with the pastor about my experiences there (45 years ago…), it now all makes sense to me. I actually am now thinking back with good feelings about that church and my visits there.

Also the exoteric and esoteric subject I enjoyed quite well. As I have been philosophizing for many years, I have found now that I have formalized my studies, that I have come to the same views but did not know they were called exoteric and esoteric.



I don’t think there is anything that can be improved much or if there was anything I did not like about this course. I do believe that it is best that this course is takes in conjunction with other ULC offerings like Religious Philosophy and others in order to get a better and more complete picture.

I am looking forward to taking many more courses from ULC, not only the ones focusing on the Chaplaincy degree, but I will continue with others as well. I have found that the more I study, the more questions I get. I am looking forward to a lifelong learning process in this area.

Thank you!

Rev. Peter Paul van Sluis


********************************************

To ordain yourself with the Universal Life Church, for free, for life, right now, click on the Free Online Ordination link.

Rev. Long created the ULC seminary site to help ministers learn and grow their ministries. The Seminary offers a huge catalog of materials for ministers of the Universal Life Church

No comments: