Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Chaplaincy Studies Course

If you have ever given any thought to serving as a chaplain, take this course. Rev. Daniel Moore presents the most complete description of a field that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Not a single question goes unanswered. Not a single aspect of the field is ignored.

When I signed up for the course, I was not sure this was the right direction for me to pursue. It had been suggested by a friend when I asked for an idea on how to put my ministry to work. But after spending many weeks learning about all the different chaplain possibilities, I decided that all were too structured. Not that going to a hospital every week and visiting the sick and grieving was a problem. It was the formality that has put me off. I always thought it would be fine to speak to the social worker at a hospital near my office or residence, one in which I knew a staff member or member of the Board, offer to volunteer to visit a particular group of people such as hospice patients and be on my way. Maybe this is still a possibility. But the course cautions a much stricter regimen.

But this dilemma belongs only to me. For anyone taking this course with the intent of completing the entire series, and then becoming a chaplain, there could be no better introduction. For me, I will continue with the series and see where it leads and what possibilities present themselves.

My thanks to Rev. Moore for allowing me the opportunity to glean from his wisdom.

Rev. Judith G. Wolf

*************************
Many people get ordained through the ULC as a means to become wedding officiants, but also to study through our online seminary. If you need minister supplies or online ceremonies, we have a wide selection to choose from, as well as a place for spiritual articles and spiritual bookmarks. Visit our FB Page at ULC Seminary.


No comments: