Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Metaphysics

I have found the above course to be very stimulating in that I have not studied most of the subjects before, and therefore I have certainly improved my knowledge of some aspects although I realize that others will need more attention.

The question of meditation was a difficult one as it was not easy for me initially to concentrate sufficiently to produce a true spirit of meditation without some outside influences coming into my mind.  These would break the thought chain and I would have to retrace my steps, as it were, to get back into the mood of the meditation. However with practice I found that it began to get easier and I could make better progress. Setting up roses and destroying them and using golden suns became easier and eventually produced some reasonable results.

I have found that taking this course has enabled me to look at people from a different standpoint and sometimes I have been able to do this during a conversation and see what the real problem was. Unfortunately it has only worked on a few occasions so I need more practice at this aspect.

The one subject that I am not sure about is Reincarnation.  As a Christian, we are taught that reincarnation is false and we have only one life and we are judged on that. I accept that there are some people who do not have a good upbringing or die young etc. and may not therefore have the opportunity to hear the Gospel. I am sure that it is not the action of a loving God to prevent them from attaining heaven without having at least another chance. In Chapter 14 of St John’s Gospel Jesus says ”In my Father’s house are many rooms…..”.  This could mean many things eg rooms for different faiths or for people who are in different stages of reincarnation. One finds a number of interpretations of this verse and nobody, I am sure, really knows what it means. But whether  one gets a virtually limitless chance of salvation, I do not know and I personally have not, to my knowledge, had any experiences which point to the fact of reincarnation. I am willing to learn more on this subject as I do not regard it as a closed book to me.

I found the subject of ‘mock-ups’ very interesting and have tried some simple examples that seemed to work sometimes but not others. It may be my concentration has lapsed and not been firm enough but having had a little success it is worth pursuing further.

I feel that taking this course has helped me to a better understanding of the forces that are at work around us and which we have the power to harness for our use once we have had the training that this course provides. While I am sure I am not an expert in Metaphysics, I have learned much and will continue to follow up the lessons expounded in this useful course.

Rev. Derek Kemp



********************************************

To ordain yourself with the Universal Life Church, for free, for life, right now, click on the Free Online Ordination link.

Rev. Long created the ULC seminary site to help ministers learn and grow their ministries. The Seminary offers a huge catalog of materials for ministers of the Universal Life Church, as well as an online seminary program and a chaplaincy program.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: