Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Course In Miracles

A Course In Miracles
Sitting down to write this essay was a challenge for me. Then trying to find just one section that stood out was difficult. I found that the whole course stood out. I had heard bits here and there about metaphysics being what I heard called as "New Age" thinking. What I personally found was a course written to a Christian's perspective. I have come to the conclusion that actually any religion can utilize this self-awareness with metaphysics.

I found myself thinking how I was stuck in this somewhat of a rut, like so many of my friends around me. I was raised as a Christian (although both my parents were not), and I stopped going to church. I couldn't see how these people who called themselves Christians would be all holy on Sunday and then the rest of the week, talking behind other peoples backs and back stabbing the people they were all loving to on the previous Sunday. To me that wasn't being a Christian. After reading through this course I am not sure if it is my own fear (ego) that had taken me away or my lack of understanding of what my true purpose was. After reading only a few of these lessons I became aware of some of my unanswered questions. The more I read the more it all started to unravel and make since.

I did have a problem with the meditation. As many times as I sat down to relax - I couldn't. My mind would wander and finally after a whole five minutes, I would have to get up. I just knew there was something I was suppose to be doing. Checking homework, making lunches, helping my husband get prepared for work the next day, the list was always long. I fear this was only conditioning from my parents. There were obligations that I needed to get done to be the perfect wife, mother, daughter, and friend. When I finally stopped long enough to ask myself why I had these feelings of obligations, the only answer was ME. It was for myself and I was worried about what others would think. Then that tied me in with all the other lessons. When I try to do things for myself (ego) it is to gain recognition for my actions.

l the solution I find myself going over is I think it was Lesson 19. When I let go of doing things to please others and get that recognition my ego wants I can truly be able to give to others unconditionally. The great thing about this lesson is that it doesn't only apply to the work environment. I actually can apply it to all aspects in my life.

I believe that this course will be used over and over again during the coming years. If I start questioning myself what a great reference to read over again for some reassurance.

I would like to thank you again for this well written course. I think everyone should take this course, any religion. Just think of all the miracles that could happen.

Rev. Pam Sylvia


********************************************

To ordain yourself with the Universal Life Church, for free, for life, right now, click on the Free Online Ordination link.

Rev. Long created the ULC seminary site to help ministers learn and grow their ministries. The Seminary offers a huge catalog of materials for ministers of the Universal Life Church

No comments: