Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Comparative Religion

This comparative religion course has a vast amount of information that is almost impossible to comprehend over the period of 20 weeks. I will be referring to it for many years to come as I encounter other persons who proclaim their religious beliefs. I have gained much knowledge, and more of an understanding of some of the not so popular religions.


What I liked best is difficult to answer. For one, I like the pictures. Books with pictures are always interesting; the beautiful pictures were a great addition to the text. I relate it to talking about someone’s family, if you can put a face with the words you seem to remember more of what was said about that person. The pictures helped me relate more to the topic.


I like the way the course starts out with an index, I like the links that were added for yet more information and backed up the info that was put into the text. Suggesting reading was appreciated, because sometimes you just want to explore more on the topic.



I like the diversity of the religions. Kythera’s weekly discourse flows smoothly from one religion to another, from one topic to another.



One of my most favorite discourses that I found to be especially interesting was Discourse #18 on religious titles. When you hear that someone is a deacon or a bishop, do you really give it much thought? I think, okay he is head of a church or a group. This class really breaks it out defining the duties of that layperson, how they are appointed into their position and also a good history. Again, the pictures are great showing modern day layperson in robes and stoles compared to those of ancient times. Almost as a side note, Kythera Ann teaches us the courtesies in addressing priest and elders of the church. I found this to be very important part of the lesson.



What I like the least is difficult to say for all of it is beautiful written and illustrated. It was suggested the pages be printed out weekly and put into a three ring binder. I started out doing this, but that’s a lot of pages. I found it easier to keep the information on line and stored in a folder.



I don't know how Kythera Ann could improve this course. Obviously much time and effort went into it before it was presented to us. Some of the type is not easy to read. Perhaps the smaller italicized type could be boosted up a size. It was especially difficult to read against a colored background.



Other comments: This course was a good challenge for me. I have studied religion and spirituality for many years. There is just so much good solid and new information that I haven’t come across anywhere else. I could find bits and pieces here and there, but to have it compiled into these lessons makes it much easier to connect the pieces of the puzzle.



I would love to take another course written by Kythera Ann. I find that she is extremely knowledgeable and has a talent for research. She presents the information in an attractive format.

By Rev. Nancy Kuhn


*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. I have been a proud member of the ULC for many years and the Seminary since its inception.

The Universal Life Church offers handfasting ceremonies, funeral ceremonies and free minister training.

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge selection of Universal Life Church  minister supplies. Since being ordained with the Universal Life Church for so many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've watch the huge change and growth that has continued to happen.



Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: