Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Four Gospels

Four Gospels at ULC Seminary
ULC Seminary
Re: Class Completion Essay

Dearest Sirs:

Thank you for offering this very spiritually enriching course on the Four Gospels. I took my time studying the course materials as well as the study book; The Unvarnished Gospels because I wanted to not only read and learn more about the words and deeds of our Ascended Master, Christ Jesus, but could also experience these, vision them and begin consciously applying the wise teachings to my everyday life. As I went through the gospels, I had many revelations and spiritual experiences in meditation and in my communion time with Spirit for which I will be eternally grateful.

One particular place in the book of Thomas talked about how Jesus said that he was one who comes from what is whole and that that entire he has is from his father. He says I am your disciple. This particularly touched me for I feel as though I am a disciple of Spirit, and it made me realize as such I am to follow the path of the great Masters before me so that I can be more Spirit-like, God-like, whole. It goes onto say that if you are whole then you are filled with light, but if you are divided, you are filled with darkness. I have found this to be true in my life. When I am consumed with fear, doubt, confused, and divided it is because I am not one with God, I am seeking to do things on my own, wandering around aimlessly in the dark. As soon as I let go and seek God’s instruction and guidance, God sheds light on what was appearing dark, confusing and uncertain. He shows me all the mysteries of the world if I seek his lead and follow his guidance.

If I had to pick my favorite gospel, it would be Matthew. From the time I was a girl, given my first bible at confirmation, I read Matthew many times over. I have done so many times over the course of my life, especially when I find myself in a time of crisis or grief as I find it is so fully of love and hope, and it brings me peace and security, as I feel so near the Creator as I read Matthew.

There are so many beautiful messages in Matthew. It is hard to pick one that stands out as my favorite but what is most speaking to me after studying this course is Matthew 11:28-29. I will not quote all of it, but one part says and takes my yoke upon you, let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. I wondered what was meant by take my yoke.

I pondered this and looked at study references. I realized that the yoke represented being united to another so that you can work together. I am reminded that when you work together you can accomplish so much more than you can individually because then you are going in the same direction, are in harmony with each other, helping each other, and so, the work is easier. I thought also the meaning would be that if I choose to turn my will and my life over to God’s care and direction then my burdens are easier to endure, manage and so my soul stops being so weary and I find peace. God has that type of strength.

I was able to share the life lessons as they related to my personal life as well as the lives of my dear clients and friends. Of particular interest was the Sermon on the Mount for as I read this I was able to recognize some very old and familiar concepts from the Sermon on the Mount from my years of Christian studies and experiences. Particularly rewarding was finding how the simple everyday wisdom applied to my own personal Spiritual Journey and life. I was able to experience the meanings of Christ’s teachings on a soul level and in relationship to my life and circumstances.

I experienced a deeper connection to the Divine because of this course. I believe it gave me valuable training of how to be Spirit-like in nature, compassionate, loving, accepting, guiding, teaching, understanding, comforting, and so much more. I truly gave this careful thought as I read the information for the class as well as read the scriptures, chapter by chapter, line-by-line, discovering many things that I never saw before even though I have read those many, many times over in the course of my lifetime.

I went on an extended vacation in the winter months and I brought the materials, book and bible with me. I spent time in the mornings by the fireplace, snuggled up in my robe, with my little lovely pup at my feet, long before anyone else arose for the day, looking out onto the peaceful and serene Smokey mountains of Tennessee and it was there that I really felt Christ’s presence within me. It was during those two weeks that I really opened to the Divinity within me and could see the work of Spirit in everything, nature, animals, the landscapes, babbling brooks, forests, and all living things, people. Even if a person is not a Christian, I know that this course will enrich their connection to Spirit, as well as a deeper understanding of Christ’s teachings, of God, and themselves, others, and all the inhabitants of the Earth plane.

Again, thank you for allowing me to experience the teachings of Christ soulfully, as a part of me, within me, just as God is a part of me, within me.

In Divine Love and Service,
Rev. Tracey


*******************************

As a long time member of ULC, Rev. Long created the seminary site to help train our ministers. We also have a huge selection of Universal Life Church  minister supplies. Since being ordained with the Universal Life Church for so many years and it's Seminary since the beginning, I've watch the huge change and growth that has continued to happen.


No comments: