Seminary Program

This is where we post the essays from many of our Universal Life Church Seminary students. When students finish a ULC course, they write a comprehensive essay about their experiences with the course, what they learned, didn't learn, were inspired by, etc. Here are their essays.

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dr. of Spiritual Development from ULC Seminary

I am glad that I took this class, it was a great reminder of where I came from when I first started this journey several years ago. After two decades of selfishness and incomprehensible demoralization, I found myself at my bottom, being given an ultimatum, I needed to shape up or I was literally going to die. It came down to where I had to make some very hard choices. Was I going to continue on following the path that I was on, or was I going to develop a new way of living?  I obviously decided to take the latter.  I found myself in a room filled with like minded people with similar issues, and I liked what they shared, and the joy they were experiencing. I was given some suggestions, to do the next right thing, and do a thorough self appraisal. What a gift that turned out to be. I developed such a positive feeling for what I was doing, and was actually enjoying it, that's when I had an " ah ha" moment. I realized that staying in the "positive" was the key, because every time I got down on myself things started to get twisted up, they didn't go right, and I found myself isolating, I was irritable, and in a bad mood, and the negative flooded my being, even my dreams were negative.

Right at about the time I started this class I was at a the end of one of my many plateau's in my recovery. I wasn't sure where my journey was going to take me, and it ended up taking me right back to where the unresolved issues were, and this class helped bring them to the surface, right from the first lesson on clarity. It made me re-evaluate what I was trying to accomplish. I had gotten "lost in the process" if that makes any sense? I was so focused on trying to attain my goal that I didn't allow myself to be maleable, and go with the flow.

I found that if I stay flexible, and teachable, nothing in the world can take away the joy I have found. Isn't that what all this is about? Finding your way to a better understanding of self, which in turn gives you a better understanding of others to be able to help guide them through their difficult times. Being of service!

Thanks, and don't forget to enjoy your next 24, PEACE!

Rev. C Watson       
Universal Life Church   


No comments: